Can you get HD Quality on the Wii?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by jsf8x, Dec 17, 2010.

1. jsf8x macrumors 6502

jsf8x

I got the Wii last Christmas but hardly used it. I'm not wondering if there is anyway you can get HD Quality for the Wii via hdmi or component cables.

Thanks

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Nope, max screen resolution is 480p, 480i, or 576i.

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

After seeing a number of wii titles running in higher resolution via emulator, i would kill for a Wii HD.

Mario Galaxy is beautiful in hi-def resolution - even with textures etc. the same. Kirby Canvas and Donkey Kong too look phenomenal in high def.

If there was a god... the wii would have been HD.

4. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Maybe the Wii 2 or whatever they're planning to call it will be HD.

5. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

I don't know if it's possible to add HD to the existing Wii in a hardware revision, but I'm sure the next-gen Wii will be HD. Now that XBOX has Kinnect and PS3 has Move, they need to play catch up.

6. det2004 macrumors 6502

The graphics on the Wii do look a tiny bit better using component cables versus using composite cables but the hardware does not support hd resolutions. I remember reading somewhere that Nintendo planned on making their next console HD though, whenever the next round may be released.

7. edddeduck macrumors 68020

edddeduck

I have to agree with this comment if you have a HD TV I highly recommend you go and buy some component cables.

8. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Now that's ironic.

9. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I bought an adapter for my Wii that allows me to plug it into either an HDMI or DVI port.

For a LCD -- especially the cheaper ones it does make a noticeable difference. You won't get tEh HD -- to state the obvious -- but what it does improve noticeably is the colors. It's also sharper than component that one might ore might not notice.

It also upscales, which really isn't that noticeable when further back, but up close it does make things better. Circles as an example are less pixelated -- just a bit grainy.

I bought it so I could use my extra LCD for the Wii, since my wife is usually watching TV on the plasma -- which the Wii looks great on!

What this adapter did, was bring almost that same level of color to my LCD that I've grown accustom to on the plasma with only the darks not being up to spec --- they're grayish instead of black.

Anyways, here's a link. It was well worth buying IMO. If it's something that interests you and you do get one, just make sure it's well ventilated;
    HDMI Upscaler for Wii