can you get new phone with same contract?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JoeyBoy718, Jun 17, 2012.

1. JoeyBoy718 macrumors newbie

Hey,
    I was just curious. I don't have an iPhone yet. I'm going to be going off to grad school next fall, August 2013. Most likely, the iPhone 6 (if that's what it's called) will be coming out mid-October 2013. Now I want to go to grad school with an iPhone but I also want to get the new one when it comes out (about 2 months after I leave for grad school). I was wondering if I could get like a cheap old iPhone (like a 4 or 3GS) brand new with a new contract and just upgrade to the iPhone 6 about 3 months later or so without having to pay a contract violation or open a new contract.

2. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

If I'm reading this right your wanting to know if you can get a phone on contract and then get another one three months later? Of course not. In exchange for the discounted phone you agree to two years of service. That's how they make that money back. What you can do is purchase a used older phone to use for those three months and then upgrade to the new phone when it comes out.

3. JoeyBoy718 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, here's what I mean. For example, with Sprint (which I would most likely go with) the monthly bills cost the same for all iPhones--$80 a month for 450 mins, unlimited data and text. So could I just get a iPhone 4 for most likely free or very cheap on that $80 a month contract, and then 3 months later when the new iPhone comes out I would pay full price for the phone (most likely $400 for the 64 gb) and continue to pay $80 a month for the remainder of the 2 year contract I started 3 months prior?

4. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

$400 for the 64GB is the subsidized price. AKA "new contract" price.

The "not getting a new contract price" for a 64GB 4s is over $800.

You could try finding an existing iPhone and using that, I think you can then hold your subsidy for later and still have the contract you want now - not sure though, as I don't use sprint.

On the flip side, once the next iPhone is out, you can sell your old one.

5. JoeyBoy718 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, that makes sense. I'll probably just get a cheap prepaid, no contract phone from Metro PCS where I currently live in Miami, and then I'll just get the new 2013 iPhone after I move to my grad school.

6. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Of buy a used iphone and use that until the new one comes out.

Any NEW phone and most refurbs are going to require a 2 year contract. No way around it.

7. chrfr macrumors 603

Apple does sell iPhones at the off-contract price, but as someone has already mentioned, it's very expensive to buy that way.

8. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Why are you worried now about something almost a year and a half away?!?