Can you guys help me help a friend out?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LiveFreeDie, Dec 3, 2010.

1. LiveFreeDie macrumors regular

So my buddy just got an iPhone 4 and previously had a 3GS. He hasn't synced his 3GS to itunes in a VERY long time. He just bought a new laptop and wanted to know if he can copy apps off his old 3GS into a new itunes on a new computer. Then once those apps are saved on his computer then be able to sync them to his new iPhone 4.

The reason why i'm asking for him is because i'm the one who will probably do it and i've never attempted this before. I know I should probably change the itunes option so it won't sync right away before I hook up the iphone. Beyond that i'm not sure how to go about the rest.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Leet Apple macrumors 6502a

Leet Apple

if your tranferring files from computer to computer its possible if its iPhone to computer it won't work :(

3. Pastajensen macrumors newbie

You can transfer purchases from the iphone to itunes, just right click on "your iphone" in the itunes device list and then choose "transfer purchases"

I hope this is helping you.

4. LiveFreeDie thread starter macrumors regular

So i'm confused, got some mixed feedback ha. So is it possible to copy apps off a 3GS onto a new computer and new itunes, when that phone has never been synced to that computer or itunes before?

If so, all I would have to do is hook up the 3GS not let it sync right away, then right click on the iphone and select transfer purchases, correct?

If thats not possible. Could he sign into his itunes account and redownload all the apps he bought on his 3gs and download them on his iphone 4 without having to pay for them again?

Thanks.

5. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

1) iTunes will ask "iTunes has found some purchased items, do you wish to transfer them" you click yes.

2) So yes, that's correct.

3) Possible, but depending on the number of apps -- pain in the arse.

Lastly, the final alternative is that you manually copy the files pc to pc.

6. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

Once they are on yr computer just drag them to a flash drive and then put it on another computer. U can do this w/ up to 5 computers, it will just ask u for ur apple I'd and password.

7. LiveFreeDie thread starter macrumors regular

He hasn't synced his 3GS to itunes in probably close to a year and the computer he did sync it on originally is long gone. This is why I wanted to know if it was possible to take the apps directly off the 3gs to the computer then to iphone 4.

Thanks for the help guys.