Can you guys recomend a good printer?

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 5, 2004
I need a new printer. I have about 250 bucks. I just want a reliable good printer for printing photos and homework. I have an ibook so i want to be able to connect to it using usb or firewire. Something not to big as well. Any suggestions? :D

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Gone but not forgotten.
FireWire-attached printers like my Canon i9900 cost a lot more than $250.

Practically any Canon or Epson printer for $100 or more will do what you want. Those from HP will work too but I don't recommend them. If you need copying facilities, the all-in-ones from Epson are really nice.

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 5, 2004
bousozoku said:
FireWire-attached printers like my Canon i9900 cost a lot more than $250.

Practically any Canon or Epson printer for $100 or more will do what you want. Those from HP will work too but I don't recommend them. If you need copying facilities, the all-in-ones from Epson are really nice.
Do the cheaper ones your referring to connect via usb?

mcgarry

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2004
CaptainCaveMann said:
Ok i think im looking for a inkjet printer.
You're welcome. Did that (and any other similar) threads help you narrow your search still further? for example, how serious about photo printing are you? Do you want separate ink tanks for each color? Any paper-handling preferences (duplex, borderless, etc.)? I don't have all ther answers to these questions myself, but others here might. For basic text printing with the occasional passable photo, though, $100 or so should be fine.

Personally, I'm inclined to point you towards Canon for reliability and value, even with what I wrote in that other thread.

Also, you can find b&w lasers from HP, Brother, and Samsung (I think) for $200 and below. If color is unnecessary, they might be worth a look.

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 5, 2004
mcgarry said:
You're welcome. Did that (and any other similar) threads help you narrow your search still further? for example, how serious about photo printing are you? Do you want separate ink tanks for each color? Any paper-handling preferences (duplex, borderless, etc.)? I don't have all ther answers to these questions myself, but others here might. For basic text printing with the occasional passable photo, though, $100 or so should be fine.

Personally, I'm inclined to point you towards Canon for reliability and value, even with what I wrote in that other thread.

Also, you can find b&w lasers from HP, Brother, and Samsung (I think) for $200 and below. If color is unnecessary, they might be worth a look.
Theres so many printers. Do you guys have a good experience with any particular canon inkjet? I need it for mostly just black and white text printing and the occasional photo. Thanks

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
i liked the three epsons i had from 1999-2003

but i have had better reliability with my lexmark z-23 even though i admit it did not print as pretty color pictures/images

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Gone but not forgotten.
CaptainCaveMann said:
Do the cheaper ones your referring to connect via usb?
Almost all printers now connect via USB, some using USB 2.0 like my Epson CX6400 all-in-one but my Canon i9900 connects either by USB or FireWire but it was $500 and can print on 13x19 sheets.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.