Can you have 1 screen static the other utilize the spaces feature?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by meemorize, Sep 19, 2009.

1. meemorize macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I am currently using 2 screens, with my mac pro and enjoy using it, but what I'd really like to do is have the left screen (the secondary) just be a single screen that I can 'dump' info and snippets of code into while the primary screen has my applications open.

I am an avid Spaces user and was wondering if there is a way to only enable Spaces for the primary screen and leave the secondary screen just as a single solid state screen that does not change alongside the primary when changing spaces on it.

I hope I made clear what I'd like to know.. otherwise feel free to ask of course.
    Regards,
    M.

2. Rhalliwell1 macrumors 6502a

So to clarify what you have said, you have 2 screens and for discussions sake the right hand screen is your main, left your secondary. You only want to change spaces on the right hand screen so the content on the left does not move?

If this is the case, in spaces preferences you can assign applications to either one space or all spaces. For example, if application A is set to the right hand screen on space one and application B is set to the left hand screen of all spaces then application A will always open in space one on the right (no matter which space you are currently in) and application B will remain on the left hand screen no matter which space you move to.

Hope i have understood you and this has helped. :)

3. meemorize thread starter macrumors newbie

First of all, thanks for the reply.
    Yes, you understood exactly what I am wanting to do. However some of these apps I am using are ultimately the same app, for instance in the coda.app there are panels I can drag out to the second screen but while this panel should "stick" to the left screen, the apps main window should still be only in space 1.
    As such the solution would be of much more use if it'd be application independant.

Thanks again and if you have any more ideas please share them :)