Can You Have a Mouse AND Trackpad with my iMac?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jaybar, Oct 16, 2015.

1. jaybar macrumors 6502

jaybar

Hi

I am using a late 2013 iMac 27. I already have the new keyboard and mouse. Can I also have the new trackpad? Is there any advantage to both a mouse and trackpad? Are they conflicting?

Thanks

2. Thomi2 macrumors newbie

You may be able to use your Trackpad and your mouse simultaneously onto your Mac, without any compatibility problem, though it wouldn't be really useful because they can actually reproduce the same gestures, the trackpad would just feel different from the mouse, and that would be the difference.
    So if you own a mouse already, you may not necessarily buy a trackpad (except if you like the new Force Touch option on the new Trackpad)
    And there's no specific compatibility problem apparently.

3. iPhisch macrumors 6502

I use both. The trackpad is for normal computer function and the mouse is for precise cursor movement when editing photos.

4. dyn macrumors 68030

Mouse, keyboard, trackpad and tablet here. No problems whatsoever and you have the benefit of switching your input device to whichever you like at that particular moment. In general mice and tablets are more accurate than trackpads but trackpads allow for gestures and force touch (if you have the new one). I quite often use tablet and trackpad: moving the cursor is done with tablet and anything that is a gesture (scrolling, swiping, pinching) is done on the trackpad. There are tablets with built-in trackpads but they are not as nice as the Apple trackpads though.

5. mfram macrumors 65816

I use a mouse for gaming and precise use. I find it easier. But for web browsing, looking at documents, and general usage I generally like the trackpad better. It has a more natural feel to me. You can have both connected at the same time.

6. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

I have the old trackpad on the left and old magic mouse on the right. I mainly use the trackpad to scroll on Safari and do some gestures on it.

7. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

I disagree completely. It's VERY useful. I feel 'naked' without both.

I've been using both a trackpad on the left side of my keyboard and a mouse on the right for the past 4 years.

I point and click with my mouse, drag and drop with my mouse.

I scroll and bring up mission control with the trackpad, swipe through screens and programs, and use it for quick maneuvering. It's a completely different experience with both, and makes me much more productive.