can you have apple hold an order for a few days before shipping?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bearbo, Apr 26, 2007.

1. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

i'm interested in purchasing a mac pro during the MO August tax free weekend. however i will be on vacation the first 3 weeks of august in california. which means i won't be able to receive the mac pro when it gets to me.

for those who have experience ordering from the ADC store, how long does it usually take to ship a BTO item after placing order?

and for everyone, have anyone tried to have apple hold the order and ship at a slightly later date?

i know i can always have the mac pro shipped to school or a friend's place, but i don't feel safe about keeping a mac pro at school or comfortable subjecting a friend to safe keep that box for such a long time...

any ideas?

thanks!

2. MSD401 macrumors 6502

MSD401

couldnt you just have it shipped to the store and pick it up there?...never done it but seems possible....

3. bearbo thread starter macrumors 68000

bearbo

store won't do it, some inventory issue.

4. akadmon macrumors 68010

What, you don't know anyone you would trust with holding the MP for you while you're away? Just have it shipped to a neighbor or a friend, or even your mother (surely you can trust your mother, no?!).

5. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

One problem I see is that Apple doesn't (I think) bill a purchase until it is shipped. So it would be very difficult to make sure it ships on a certain date, better yet a weekend. also, I doubt Apple honors the tax free weekend deal anyway as it is probably just on a weekend and I doubt any mail order companies honor it (or even know or care about it.)

Talk with someone at the state house in Jeff City (or search online) to find out how to go about arranging it so you don't have to pay tax from an online order (if it is possible.)

6. bearbo thread starter macrumors 68000

bearbo

i have trusted friends (and mother!) but they dont live in the state where i go to school... in fact, even the friends that i have at school don't all live in the state (washington university is quite at the border of MO and IL)... and other friends are graduating, so they wont be here anyway.

apple doesn't charge you til it's shipped, but apple bill you (or at least in their system) at the time of order. i know they can' do tax free weekend thing, it's on their website. all online stores have to honor this, it's a state law. despite whether they care or not.

7. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Cool- I didn't realize this- I knew it was probably a law, but how easy is it to get Apple to follow through on it on the billing end. Hopefully for you not too difficult.

Unfortunately my relatives (that I trust at least) live in Columbia MO and KC. How many days are we talking about...casue if they try to deliver and no one is home they will attempt usually two more times...maybe it is a thing that you can arrange with the local fed ex office to hold it for x nubmer of days?

Good luck

8. bearbo thread starter macrumors 68000

bearbo

yeah... i might be able to do that... it's just ... how much can you trust a carrier company, you know?

i know that ADC store hold the order for a number of days to verify your ADC status and such, does anyone know how many day is that? aka how many days (if any) more than regular store does ADC store to take to ship out the BTO Mac Pro?

9. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

NO farther than I can carry them, but at the same time, what is the worst that can happen- they would return the computer to Apple...wait, that woudl suck!:eek:

Better start making friends at Fed Ex I guess or the cute neighbor next door! :cool:

10. tingly macrumors 6502

If your signature is required on delivery, they'll leave a note saying to come pick it up.

11. bearbo thread starter macrumors 68000

bearbo

but fedex would just return to sender after 5 business days after the 3rd delivery... now i don't want THAT to happen do i?

i dont know if i can make it back by then :(

12. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

It depends on the carrier I think...they usually attempt three times...but they leave you a note saying they attempted...I have called before and had them not put it on a truck but instead hold it for me to pick up at the drop-off location here at Fed Ex, but it is the only facility in town for them so was easy to do.

Sounds like you are still in a difficult situation.

What about a professor or someone you could trust on campus to have it delivered to?

13. bearbo thread starter macrumors 68000

bearbo

see that's the thing... i dont know how safe would it be to leave it on campus for a couple of weeks. but i guess i could consider that as the last option...

14. Jebaloo macrumors 6502

Why don't you just pay for an add on, a little bitmore RAM for example, that'll add on an extra week or something.

15. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

why not buy from amazon and avoid the tax altogether? they also offer a $150 rebate. the only problem is if you want to customize your configuration.

16. aljlin macrumors regular

What you can do, is call fedex, and ask them what their rules about holding a package at their facility is. I know when I ordered my MBP and it arrived faster than I thought, so I was out of town at the time, (i ordered it on christmas day and it arrived 2 days later... a CTO order too!) and what I did was I called FedEx and had them hold the shipment at their location. Of course they have to fail one time, and then they will hold it at a location (and since you have the tracking number, they will go by that..). The person should tell you where they are holding the package at, but make sure they will hold it for a specific time period. :) I don't know how long fedex will hold it for you, but I do know they can hold it for a limited amount of time.

17. bearbo thread starter macrumors 68000

bearbo

i'm gonna have them add x1900, bluetooth and airport... would that really add another week? i sure hope, but that's still not gonna be enough.

because i'm gonna use ADC, which is far more than $150. it's about $1000 (or a bit more) cheaper than regular discount, $500 more than educational.

and beyond that, amazon can't add x1900 (or whatever is available then), nor bluetooth and airport.

i think they can hold for 5 days, and it will be returned to sender, i really don't want to risk that tho...

thanks for the ideas... has anyone tried to have apple to hold the package before they ship it out?