Can you have different login/root passwords?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ender land, Jul 19, 2012.

1. ender land macrumors 6502a

Is it possible to have different login and root passwords for a single account or do they have to be the same?

I am fairly sure they need to be the same but would like to have a "login" required but my root password is fairly long :) I guess if I cannot I will switch it to something shorter..

I am on Snow Leopard.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

A user should never use the root account on Mac OS X. Ever. You should use an admin account instead. I'm guessing you separated your accounts to increase security? There isn't a single gain in doing so on Mac OS X. To do anything harmful, even with an admin account, you have to put in an admin password. This applies for all system actions preformed under your account.

In Windows XP there was a security gain in doing so. But there has never been on in Mac OS X. All you get by doing that is an inconvenience.

3. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

It can be done in Unix, but I've never bothered to see if that can be transferred to Mac OS X.

It requires terminal work and editing system files by hand, which, if done incorrectly, will lead to not being able to log in as anyone.

Not recommended for a lot of different reasons beyond that.