Can you have no icons on home screen ?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by cheekyjeremy, Apr 3, 2010.

1. cheekyjeremy macrumors regular

Is it possible to have no icons on the home screen (other than the dock), but have the apps start on page 2, or is it like the iPhone where it forces them back to the front screen ?

2. fraggot macrumors 6502

You can't on the iPhone/iPod Touch so I highly doubt you can on the iPad.

If this supposed jailbreak works and is released soon there might be a way to do so.

3. csnplt macrumors 6502

csnplt

4. Alchematron macrumors 65816

Alchematron

Please explain how

Thanx

5. Mitchrapp macrumors 6502a

Isn't it as simple as just moving them to another page?

6. FWW macrumors regular

FWW

Yes. I really prefer it this way.

7. duky macrumors 6502

This is GREAT news!

8. cheekyjeremy thread starter macrumors regular

That rules. I just think it would look cleaner this way

9. Sleazy E macrumors 65816

Sleazy E

That's good to know in case I get a background I really like. Thedefault one is pretty boring

10. Maaz macrumors 6502a

11. mickbab macrumors 65816

mickbab

If it's anything like the iPhone, the home screens will just be moved across to fill in the blank screen. You can move them all across while they are jiggling around, but as soon as you press the home button to lock them into place, the blank home screen disappears and the rest move across.

You do have the option of creating a blank icon and only putting that on the first screen. There are various websites which provide this function I believe - you simply visit the website on the iPad and create a home screen bookmark. I will see if I can find the site.

12. Alchematron macrumors 65816

Alchematron

13. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

I've never tried to make the first screen blank but what if you use iTunes to move them and leave the first screen blank? I seem to remember accidentally making a blank 5th or so iPhone screen.

Also even if you do get a "blank" home screen won't still have the fixed bottom (dock) icons like on the iPhone/iTouch?

14. vincebio macrumors 6502a

vincebio

whats the point exactly?

surely you didnt spend a heap of cash to look at a 1024p desktop picture....

why lose functionality and make your self swipe to open all the time...

:confused:

15. duky macrumors 6502

So I tried doing this at the Apple Store to see how it looks but it wouldn't work. Are you able to post a screenshot of how this looks. Also, do you move icons around the same way you do on the iPhone? For some reason it wasn't working for me--maybe Apple somehow locked the home screen so that you can't rearrange..

16. jgfink macrumors member

They lock the re-arranging of the icons in the apple store display models. They don't want you messing with them.

17. joelk macrumors regular

Unfortunately once you power down and power up again it discards the blank page. So I just keep a couple of highly used apps at top.

18. M87 macrumors 65816

That would be really cool, especially if you use aurora as your wallpaper.

19. leesweet macrumors demi-god

leesweet

Hm.... I was going to say, what are you smoking, like everyone else, but it appears 3.2 does *not* autofill to the left (if you see what I mean). If you move icons to pages to the right, and all pages to the left are not filled, that's okay. With 3.1.x, it wasn't. Cool!

A side-effect of this is: I synced all the apps I wanted to have on the iPad, and they ended up on their original pages on the iPad (where they used to be on the iPhone), and not auto-filled back to the left (if that makes sense).

So, you can move them to blank pages, and now have category pages, or even an empty page (I suppose, I've not gone that far...).

Love 3.2 and the iPad!

20. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

Yep, it works for a while but it doesn't stay blank. Eventually the blank home screen disappears. What I do is just put one icon (calendar) on the first page.