can you hear the crickets?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by dmm219, Jan 6, 2009.

1. dmm219 macrumors 6502

Absolutely nothing today with Mac Mini or ATV. Software or hardware.

Not even a mention of movies or tv shows in itunes...just music...

...ominous sign?

2. dynaflash macrumors 68020

yup, that its the last macworld apple will be at. I would expect more independent announcements in the near future.

3. thefferon macrumors newbie

Lame!

That was the most boring, lame, uneventful, disappointing Macworld Keynote ever.

Sorry, I just had to get that out somewhere.

4. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

I was following Macrumors live until I had to go back to work. I came back to nothing! I saw that one line though, about how many stores they had, and how they didn't need macworld because they had 100 Macworlds a week.

5. Nimiety macrumors regular

Yup.... a little disappointing.

I'll be honest, I was excited at the beginning when they said that this would be all about the Mac, but in the end, not much going on.

No mac mini update (sigh).

No apple tv update (double sigh).

No iphone nano, imac or home media system (triple sigh on that last one).

6. BoulderBum macrumors 6502a

I thought for sure they'd announce a Mac Mini, I was really looking forward to a media server and I was hoping for an Apple TV update sooner rather than later.

There's reason to be hopeful, however. According to this source, who seems to speak on inside information rather than rumor.

Then again, that source said there would likely be a new Mac Mini this time around. :(

7. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

So much for giving up on cable. I guess Apple doesn't want me to "stimulate the economy." I couldn't give a flip about one thing announced today, not one.

MWSF '09=major disappointment.

Apple has officially missed the digital living room revolution.

8. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Nah.... I wouldn't worry about it. Sure we would all love to have it now. But I have a feeling there is something else around the corner from apple. I for one will not loose sleep over this.

9. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

Totally agree. But, at the same time, what did you expect? It wasn't even rumor (it was FACT) that this would be Apple's last keynote and that Jobs wouldn't be there.

They obviously have another trick up there sleeve. They have to update and release this stuff at some point.

10. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Keep in mind that just because updates weren't announced today, that doesn't mean they won't still be coming in the very near future. We may see iMac, Mac mini and Apple TV updates in the next few weeks, just wait and see...

11. Trip.Tucker Guest

Well.... I would hear the crickets in 5.1 Dolby if my new Mac mini (media center) had been announced today...

12. r12ski macrumors newbie

I was hoping for HD movies to BUY or maybe full 1080p compatibility.

Thats alright, Steve, I'll wait.

13. taytho macrumors 6502

so.... i got an appletv for christmas but took it back just to be safe because i could wait a couple weeks to see if it were going to be announced this week. is it safe to say that we arent going to see an update at macworld and it is time for me to buy this appletv and enjoy it?

14. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Tough call - usually when you play the waiting game, that's all you end up doing - waiting. That being said, just because Apple didn't release an update today doesn't mean that one isn't coming for another 6 months - there could be one next week for all we know. And now that Apple is bowing out of these trade shows, that is indicative that they no longer want to be tethered to specific dates for releases, so their release schedule may now be a lot more open and flexible. Plus, Apple has previously released updates just after major events anyway, so yeah, it's a tough call.

15. taytho macrumors 6502

crap.... that is exactly what i figured.... and in no way helpful in making a decision. i do appreciate the input.

16. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yeah, not what you wanted to hear I'm sure as it's not much help, but I think it does make sense. Good luck in your decision, I know it's a hard one... Buy now and enjoy, or wait and hope to see an update in a few weeks... problem is, the update could be a significant one, and one worth waiting for based on the rumors... sorry dude... :cool:

17. rayward macrumors 65816

T'is the Apple Paradox.

18. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yep - when you've been around as long as I have you get used to it after a while, but I don't know if that's a good thing or not... :eek: ;)

19. BrownPlopz macrumors regular

Wow. Almost fell asleep at one point...

Almost a total disappointment from my end, aside from iLife '09. I decided not to look at any news or updates until the stream was posted on Quicktime so I could watch it then, knowing nothing. Wrong move, I guess... At one point during the iWork '09 part, I almost dozed off a bit, giving up on him saying, oh, and one more thing, and then introducing something mind blowing (or at least something interesting to me :/). And even when he did finally say, "One more thing", it was just an iTunes update that kinda made you say, "FINALLY!! No DRM - wait... What's this iTunes Plus? Oh... Well then... I just hope he says, 'Oh, and one more thing', one more time, otherwise I've just wasted about 1 and a half hours or so.

On the other hand, though, this supposedly sets Apple up for an amazing event of their own, with new hardware all across the desktop and home theatre line up, so, I guess its alright. Just wish I decided to look at the updates before spending 1-2 hours with high anticipation of something, only to be disappointed.

Anyway, just my 2 cents on the last MacWorld keynote...

20. rayward macrumors 65816

It's better than being conditioned to accept failure, which is what MicroSoft has done to its users.

21. AWDBat macrumors newbie

None of today's MWSF announcements were worth the time, effort and money put into the presentation at Macworld. This is something that could simply have been added to their website or sent out in their e-newsletters. They seemed to be struggling to make any of the products sound interesting. Give us something interesting to chew on... and soon please Steve-o!

22. dbwie macrumors 6502

the reason

Steve wants to announce all the cool stuff himself. He offered his trusty sidekick some (nice) scraps today, and is saving the best for when he feels better later this year. (Joking!) :D

23. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

I disagree. I think the updates to iMovie and iPhoto are pretty solid. Enough to carry the Keynote on their own, no, especially with this season's rumor hype.

I agree that the show was a little weak ... buy all in all, I think the software side was solid.

24. BoulderBum macrumors 6502a

If you listen to the rumors, an Apple TV overhaul may be coming later this year, but you'll be waiting till Q3 at least. If you buy an Apple TV now, you won't be disappointed.

I'm a gadget lover, and the Apple TV is definately my favorite toy (I watch a lot of movies, as does my daughter and the YouTube/Video Podcast gives a lot of free daily, on-demand entertainment).

I recommend the buy.

25. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

iMovie and iPhoto contained "new to Apple" improvements, but not "new to the world" improvements. This is not the kind of update you invite the world to see. This is the kind of update you make new packaging for and change out the website descriptions.