Can you hear your MBP "thinking"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cliffrockshire, Aug 24, 2009.

1. cliffrockshire macrumors newbie

I'm not sure what the term is exactly when you can hear your hard drive working to open an application or loading different things -- I think its sometimes referred to as "thinking". Kind of like a grinding sound.

Well I heard this sound all the time on my old PC. It seemed to be always grinding away at one thing or another. I have had my new Macbook Pro 13" for about two weeks now and it has run SILENTLY. I was really impressed. But recently, the hard drive has begun to make more noise -- I can tell when it is working on things. Like whenever I open up a program or am browsing the web, I can hear a light churn every once in a while. Especially when I'm in a quiet room.

Some of my friends with newer macs don't seem to have this problem. Does anyone else have a noisy hard drive? Is this something Apple will fix? For the amount of money I spent on this baby, I don't feel like it should sound like a five year old PC.

2. impilot macrumors newbie

No sounds here....although very rarely am I in a silent room.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You're using more RAM, causing you to use more virtual RAM, causing you to use your disk more often?

Solution: Get more RAM.

4. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Heads running across the platters are just a fact of mechanical hard disk life. More RAM will help as TS Suggested but the ultimate solution would be an SSD.

5. GeekGirl* macrumors 65816

GeekGirl*

6. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

This... Try some VelociRaptor hard drives, those things are loud when they read/write... I hear they're even quieter than the old Raptors.

7. EMKarelia macrumors regular

EMKarelia

I don't think that's a good sound. Macs surely think but i don't think that heavily. : ) Maybe its a good idea to take it to the apple store if you still have Apple Care to just double check. Never hurts!

8. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Answering to the title, no I dont hear my mbp thinking... it doesnt have a brain and I dont have special powers!

9. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Don't anthropomorphize computers. They hate that! :p

10. mrmayor92 macrumors 6502