Can you help, I'm new to mac gaming.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by VereorRegula, Jan 23, 2012.

1. VereorRegula macrumors newbie

Hi, all, I've heard varying reports about Macs gaming capabilities. I've just switched to a 13" MacBook pro late 2011 model for university (formally a PC user) and so far I prefer it. I normally used the System Requirements Lab website to test if I could run games, but that does't seem to be working on Mac. Is there a website that can tell me if my Mac can run specific games? If not, could you help me? I want to play Two Worlds 2 and I'm not good at analysing hardware. The games Mac requirements are:

Minimum:

CPU: Intel Core2Duo CPU,
    RAM: 2 GB RAM,
    Graphics: NVIDIA GF 8800 or AMD RADEON HD

Recommended:
    CPU: Intel Core i5 CPU,
    RAM: 4 GB RAM,
    Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 5750 1GB

The specs of my Macbook are:

Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
    Graphics Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB
    Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2 (11C74)

Thanks in advance!

2. Swain macrumors member

I'm not that familiar with mac's and games atm, but it seems to me that you will have some problems in the graphic's card department.

I've always been told that the 13inch aren't made for gaming/don't have the specs for it.

But I might be wrong.

3. SlickShoes macrumors 6502a

It will probably run but not very well. The 13" model of macbook pro has just the integrated graphics intel 3000 HD.

You will probably be able to game on it at 1200x800 res at LOW settings for any sort of modern game. Anything from 2009 and further back it will perform a bit better.

There is a gaming forum on macrumors and it's full of people that will help you out and theres more chance of you finding someone that has the game there than in the main the forum.

I have it but I have the 15" with the 6750 graphics card, it ran the game perfectly but i wouldnt like to guess how it will play on only the integrated card.

4. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

The 13" is crippled game wise....It just has the basic Intel chip. If you are serious about gaming, you would need the 15" or preferably the 17" Both top end models have a dual graphics system...And will play most games.

Having said that, I've never really been a fan of gaming on a laptop, it's alway's something of a compromise.

I have the 17" MBP but no games installed (unless you count solitaire!) My iMac has a few games (Bioshock and a couple more) and it's a better gaming platform than any laptop IMO.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The Achilles heal for the MBP is its GPU and in the case of the 13" MBP, its the integrated GPU. The 15" MBP is better suited for games because it includes a discrete GPU

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

Analysing specs really isn't hard, you match each criteria with what you have, and ask yourself the question, do I have that or not?

Try it for yourself for a few games, it's quite easy.

With that said, the 13" will likely struggle to run the game because it simply does not have the graphical power to do so.

7. robvas macrumors 68020

Go on Youtube and search for your Mac + name of a game and there are videos to see how well (or bad) it runs.

Otherwise just stick to 2D games like Super Crate Box

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

A simple Google search brought up several search results, one that says the HD3000 lacks proper shaders support that is required in Two Worlds II. So I guess the answer is no.