Can you help me identify this program?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Tacroy00, Oct 2, 2009.

1. Tacroy00 macrumors newbie

I woke up this morning, and after opening up my laptop I saw a new icon in the bar on the upper right of the screen. I wondered what it was so I clicked on it to see if it would provide me with any information as to its origin or purpose. The only thing it says is "Initializing..." in greyed out, un clickable letters.

Here is a screen shot of the icon, with its drop down menu.
    [​IMG]

If any of you could help me out with identifying this program, its purpose, or how to get rid of it, I would be extremely thankful.

2. alhajis macrumors member

3. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

I would say, take a look in your app folder and in the download one for a new program. If you didn't have it before, it may be something new that tagged along.

4. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

It looks like the AT&T signal bars. Do you have a 3G card for your computer?

5. Tacroy00 thread starter macrumors newbie

Update.

I thought it looked like the AT&T logo too. Advertising sticks with us doesn't it.:p I haven't installed anything to my computer for at least a few weeks, Ive spent a lot of time working on my computer today, so I have not been paying attention to the icon, but I just looked and its gone...

No, I don't have any sort of external antenna or 3g card looked up to my macbook pro. I do not even own such device, so this is quite mysterious.

I will try restarting my computer in a few minutes to see if it returns. My MBP has been running perfectly since I first got it, and this is the only worrying thing that has ever occurred.

6. Salmar macrumors regular

I am using Sprint mobile broadband connect card and I have those bars showing in the menu bar also. I click on that bar icon to connect and disconnect to the internet. Mine does't show "initializing" but my neighbor and friend across the street from me has the same setup as mine and his always shows Initializing even though he is connected. ATT would have the same type setup. DSL and cable internet is not available in my area so I have to go the sprint mobile broadband route.
    Do you have a mobile broadband connection by the way?

7. Tacroy00 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope, I do not have an sort of mobile broadband. I use plain old 2.4ghz G wifi.

8. cuestakid macrumors 68000

take a look at the menubar preferences pane; Open System Prefs and check out the "other section". Another place to look is in the preference pane folder
    (HD-Users-yourusername-library-PreferencePanes) as well as in the main library folder (HD-Library-PreferencePane). You can also try at look at the activity monitor. If you see something that you aren't sure of click inspect. That may lead you to what this app is.

Hope this helpls