Can you help me understand this line of code?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by Glama, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Glama macrumors member

Hi,
    I came across the code below in a book on iphone development:
    Code:
    - (NSInteger)tableView:(UITableView *)tableView numberOfRowsInSection:(NSInteger)section {

[some code here]

return rows;
    }

I dont understand the first line. I understand from the accompanying text in the book that numberOfRowsInSection is the name of the method, so I guess the rest of the line means that it accepts a NSInteger which it refers to as "section". But the first half of the line baffles me. Since the method returns a variable called "rows", I assume that is an integer so Im thinking the "NSInteger" at the beginning of the line specifies the return type. So what is the "tableview:(UITableView *)tableView" part for? What does it specify?

Phil

2. Troglodyte macrumors member

Code:
    - (NSInteger)tableView:(UITableView *)tableView numberOfRowsInSection:(NSInteger)section {

The method returns an NSInteger and takes two parameters - one is a pointer to a UITableView object, the other is an NSInteger indicating the section in that UITableView that you are to return the number of rows of.

3. Glama thread starter macrumors member

Thanks Troglodyte.
    So one parameter comes before the method name, and one comes after. As a newbie to objective-c, that seems so odd. Any way to make sense of that? What if it took 3 input parameters? Where would the next one go?

4. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

- (NSInteger) = Return Type
    tableView: = Method Name
    (UITableView *) = Data Type it accepts (In this case it accepts a pointer to a UITableView)
    tableView = Parameter Name
    numberOfRowsInSection: = Method Name with Second Parameter
    (NSInteger) = Data Type it accepts (In this case it accets NSInteger which is a wrapper class for int)
    section = Parameter Name

*if there was a third parameter, it would look like this...
    {

- (NSInteger)tableView:(UITableView *)tableView numberOfRowsInSection:(NSInteger)section someOtherParameter: (NSInteger) someOtherInteger {

5. PhoneyDeveloper macrumors 68030

PhoneyDeveloper

Glama, you need to get a book on learning Objective-C and another one on learning iPhone development. You will learn more quickly that way.

6. lloyddean macrumors 6502a

Actually the name of the function is 'tableView:numberOfRowsInSection:' and takes 2 parameters.

7. Glama thread starter macrumors member

I have one, but it focuses on bigger concepts like inheritance, etc. I havent found a good source of info on the actually syntax and "grammar" of objective-C.

8. Glama thread starter macrumors member

Thanks FarSeide and lloyddean. Obj-c is tough to get used after years of

integer mymethod(param1, param2)

9. PhoneyDeveloper macrumors 68030

PhoneyDeveloper

What books do you have?

Have you read the sticky: iPhone Developer FAQ?

This is almost the same as Objective-C:

Code:
    integer mymethod(type param1, type param2)

and 

- (NSInteger)tableView:(UITableView *)tableView numberOfRowsInSection:(NSInteger)section

integer == NSInteger

mymethod == tableView:numberOfRowsInSection:

type param1 = UITableView*

type param2 = NSInteger

param1 = tableView

param2 = section

10. lloyddean macrumors 6502a

While I haven't read it this document http://ktd.club.fr/programmation/fichiers/cpp-objc-en.pdf
    looks like it might prove helpful to C/C++ programmers coming to Objective-C.

11. Glama thread starter macrumors member