Can you hide the keyboard?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rocknblogger, Oct 30, 2011.

1. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Please excuse the iPhone noob question. On my EVO I was able to hide the keyboard on any screen by tapping the back button. Is there a way to hide the keyboard on iOS when done typing?

For example: Lets say I'm composing an email and I'm done typing but want to read it before I tap "send". I see no way of hiding the keyboard so you have more screen real estate to proof read your email. I see that you can hide it if you're composing a text message by swiping down but not on any other screen where you use the keyboard.

Or am I missing something simple?

2. solideliquid macrumors 6502

solideliquid

Can't think of a way to do this on the iPhone. On the iPad 2, though it allows this function.

3. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

Yes, you can now hide it in iOS5. Simply swipe down on the text you've typed and the keyboard will slide down off the screen. This is a new feature in iOS5 (and something they should've done a long time ago). :D

4. LoganT macrumors 68020

That only works for text and iMessages.

5. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

6. rocknblogger thread starter macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

That only works in iMessage for me, nowhere else.

7. Jimbo47 macrumors 6502a

It works everywhere, not just iMessage. It's just not as noticeable everywhere else because you have to follow through the entire way with the swipe. Obviously it doesn't work when the "Done" button is shown.

Edit: guess I'm wrong. Hopefully they make it work in email also.

8. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

Hmm...you learn something new everyday. I had no idea it didn't work in email. Thanks for the heads-up. Sorry for getting your hopes up, OP.

9. rocknblogger thread starter macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

That's okay, I was just hoping that I was missing something. Why they would allow it in iMessage but nowhere else is a mystery. You'd think that anywhere you need the keyboard you would also like to proof read your document before sending or publishing. Maybe we'll get it with an update or iOS 6 ;)

10. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

I'm very happy the keyboard slides down when texting/iMessaging, but I wish it would it also do it when typing emails too. It would make it much easier when proofreading.