Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
with a new macbook pro, can you hook up a thunderport cinema display, and hook up another cinema display via daisy chain to the first display?

so basically can you hook up 2 external displays via one port?

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
"Thunderport"... It may not be correct, but it makes sense! :)

To answer your question, no. Only one cinema display can be connected at a time, as it lacks a passthrough feature.

A thunderbolt display HAS a passthrough port that could drive an additional cinema display, but for wonky technical reasons you must have an additional thunderbolt device connected inbetween the thunderbolt display and the cinema display for it to work.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Sorry, it was late when I posted this. I meant thunderbolt.

Anyways, what do you mean 'have a thunderbolt device in between the displays'? Do you mean you need 2 thunderbolt ports on the computer? Or would you need 3 total thunderbolt devices hooked up?

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
A thunderbolt display HAS a passthrough port that could drive an additional cinema display, but for wonky technical reasons you must have an additional thunderbolt device connected inbetween the thunderbolt display and the cinema display for it to work.

Are you sure that you have to? I was thinking that the limitation was only that a cimena display (or other non-Thunderbolt display) had to be at the end of the chain? As in MBP > TB display > 0 or more Thunderbolt devices > non-TB display via mini displayport.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.