Can you hook up a HDD using an airport express?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by greenbean6, Jul 15, 2012.

1. greenbean6 macrumors newbie

The new airport express seems to do everything the airport extremes do just with less ports at half the price. Since I just purchased a rMBP I was looking to potentially hook up an external HDD on the network to save some stuff. I don't really know too much about this but I do know you need an USB port which the express has but says its only for a printer whereas the extreme has only one USB port as well but says it could do both. Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, the USB port on the AirPort Express is only for a printer. You can't use it for a HDD.

Uses for the USB port of Time Capsule, AirPort Extreme, AirPort Express

3. greenbean6 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the link I obviously didn't see that page.

I was thinking about getting a Netgear cg3000d Gateway to use as a modem ($7 a month to rent is bull) and it has a USB port on it. If I connect a HDD to that USB port on the netgear and use an express in a different room would I be able to connect my printer via the airport express still?

4. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

That's a WNDR 3500 with a modem. It's USB HDD sharing is very basic.

Consider a NAS instead, Synology makes some great ones.

5. ckmoose macrumors newbie

Yes. The AE can handle the printer and receive the network connection via wire or wireless, which will allow you to print over network. Heck, hook up some speakers and listen to music too...

6. Mattstkc macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

this may sound stupid but how can a USB port handle a printer and not an HDD? It's a USB port the U does stand for universal. Especially an independently powered HDD. Is this a drivers issue that limits it or what?

7. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

It's limitations in the software. Much more involved than a printer.

8. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

You can however use a Time Capsule to achieve this, but don't go looking for speed...I've tried hooking up an external HDD and it works, but it's painfully slow.

My AE is used as a network range extender, and is plugged into the hifi in my bedroom so I can play music from any device through it.

9. Mattstkc macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

Yeah I'm personally just looking to offload photos and music (and a few movies) onto externals. All my media does not need to be on my Mac all the time, especially if I'm home and it's on my iPhone, iPod, and iPad. That 70GB of space on my 250GB HD is crucial to my acquisition of more games haha