Can you hook up an Mac Mini or PC to an iMac display?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by tshrimp, Apr 4, 2012.

1. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

Can you hook up an Mac Mini or PC to an iMac display?

The reason I ask this is.....

I just purchased a Mac Mini and was thinking about buying an IPS 22-24" display as well as a new keyboard and mouse. The thing is once I do that it puts the Mac Mini at about the same price as an iMac.

However, when the current version of the iMac becomes outdated and I want to upgrade to something else like maybe a more up date Mac Mini, or even a highend Mac will I be able to use this display, or will it have to be retired with the computer that is built into it?

Thanks.

2. viktorlsn macrumors member

as far as i know only the 27" imac has video input, if you choose an 21.5", you can only use it as a second monitor i think. i'm not sure... you can always have a second monitor with macs, but why buy an imac and connect it to the mini ? stay with the imac an if you choose so, buy another display.

good luck ! hope it helped

Viktor

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

Current iMac 27" and current minis both support thunderbolt. You can connect the mini's thunderbolt connector to the iMac's thunderbolt port; it is called target display mode.

4. viktorlsn macrumors member

yep, did a quick search on that feature. didn't know it existed... :p
    but how about the 21.5 imac?

5. simsaladimbamba

from here

6. viktorlsn macrumors member

thanks mate !

7. tshrimp thread starter macrumors 6502

tshrimp

I would never buy an iMac just to connect it to a mini or a PC. But at some point the iMac will be outdated, and I would hate to spend all that money and have to scrap everything. It would be nice that when the iMac is replaced with a Mini, PC, or other that the monitor will still be usable.

8. viktorlsn macrumors member

hm, ok. i uderstand your doubt... so, yes you can hook up an imac display to a mini, but when it comes to pcs, I dont think it would work.
    sorry about he missunderstanding ;) good luck ! post back your experience on the forum !
    cheers

Viktor

9. Skeith macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted

Remember is thunderbolt equip device
    So currently PC is still a no... which is the reason stopping me in getting the current one.. will be perfect if I can.hook it up to my PC and ps3

10. tshrimp thread starter macrumors 6502

tshrimp

I just ended up buying an LG IPS monitor to go along with my Mac Mini instead of returning my Mac Mini and getting the iMac . Looks good and saved some $$. I also purchased a new keyboard. I was looking at the wireless from Apple, but wanted a number pad and didn't like the feel, so bought this one from Best Buy....http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wire...8VRU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333993987&sr=8-1

I know that is the Amazon link, but I can't find the keyboard on the BB website. I am loving this keyboard. Now to find a good mouse and my mini will be complete.