can you inatall windows vista ultimate with sp1?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by retrofraction, Jun 10, 2008.

1. retrofraction macrumors member

I found that they have already have gotten rid of all the normal versions of vista and now you can only buy vista with sp1, I called apple yesterday about it an they said that boot camp does not support installing vista with sp1

anyway I just wanted to know if it would work and if you have actuall installed windows vista with sp1 onto your mac

thanyou:)

2. jerryrock macrumors 6502

jerryrock

I did install Vista 64bit SP1 on my 2008 model MacBook Pro without incident. I used BootCamp 2.0 and upgraded to the 2.1 driver from within Vista.

The problem is with models prior to 2008 that need a firmware update to deal with the EFI bootloader of SP1.

3. retrofraction thread starter macrumors member

thankyou !!!!! I will make sure to update my mac befor running bootcamp:D

4. jerryrock macrumors 6502

jerryrock

I hope I did not mislead you......... the needed firmware update does not exist.

If you have anything other than a 2008 MacPro or MacBook Pro, the Vista64 SP1 DVD will not boot.

5. retrofraction thread starter macrumors member

i think they are on seperate dvds , I called the guy at apple yesterday and he said that it should work on my imac 24" with 880gs 4gb ram.

6. retrofraction thread starter macrumors member

no the retail copy of microsoft vista ultimate comes with the 32bit version and the 64 bit version ( so once they make it I can upgrade to it );)

7. jerryrock macrumors 6502

jerryrock

Vista Ultimate SP1 comes with both disks 32bit and 64bit. I have not tried to install the 32bit version on my 2007 MacPro. I really need to install the 64bit version to utilize my 12 gigs of ram, but have not found a workable solution with the 64 bit SP1 integrated DVD.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1846