Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bdubb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 18, 2010
Ok, now that I got a brand spankin new 3Gs I want to (just out of superstition) I want to restore it and start off as "a New iPhone" I just have a weird belief that the phone will run better etc. even though I have the phone full of my old two and a half years worth of "Backed up" data on it already...

don't laugh at me please.

Just want to know can I just SSH the phone and tap into maybe a certain directory?!? where the phone saves data for individual apps? maybe back up those apps and then, after full restore and start fresh I can SSH again and dump these backed up "save files" back into that directory?

I have few games that I've played that I've gotten quite far and I want to finish them one day when I get the time, MGS Touch being an example. etc.

But screw the games, games aren't important...I have the app Money Book...which I like alot and use everyday since January first of this year.
The app easily allows you to back up the data via email and into your computer in excel sheet format. That's all fine and dandy but...

I really like the iPhone data it has and the presentation "graphs" of your monthly spending etc.

This is Specially important to me because, since I started to record my spending data exactly the first day of the year, I want to look back on the last day of the year and have clear idea of exactly how much money I spent in a year. if I start again fresh..its going to start recording from Early April 2010 till December...

Can I somehow find the MoneyBook save data through SSH and back it up and reload it back on the iPhone after a restore?

Anybody can give me ideas on this, thanks

AppleHack23

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2010
New Jersey
In another post you said that your phone was Jailbroken. You can restore from a backup of that device, and I'm assuming you don't want Apple to know you had a backup with Jailbreak stuff, so if you have a Mac, download the iPhone SDK, and in Xcode Organizer, you can go through and delete the crash logs. Which is mainly what Apple seems to look at the most. If you don't have a Mac, or if you don't want to go through the hassle, you can just setup as new, but you wont have any data from your apps.

Bdubb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 18, 2010
In another post you said that your phone was Jailbroken. You can restore from a backup of that device, and I'm assuming you don't want Apple to know you had a backup with Jailbreak stuff, so if you have a Mac, download the iPhone SDK, and in Xcode Organizer, you can go through and delete the crash logs. Which is mainly what Apple seems to look at the most. If you don't have a Mac, or if you don't want to go through the hassle, you can just setup as new, but you wont have any data from your apps.

No, having a Jailbroken phone has nothing to do with it, like I said it's mostly superstition from my part, the phone is now loaded with back up Data from my previous iphones, and honestly I don't see anything unusual about the phone's behavior, I heard before that restoring from old back ups can cause battery drainage or other few bugs here and there... I highly doubt any of those are happening to my Phone now, it's a brand new phone, battery seems fine...But again, I rather be a little superstitious and have peace of mind by starting fresh, rather than constantly having doubts about the Phone's performance.

I got a pricey, shiny, fresh 3Gs and I kinda want to feel that it is a brand new phone, I went as far as manually typing and backing up all my iPhone contacts to a MS OutLook contacts, so when I start fresh I can just tell the iPhone to sync with my Outlook contacts... So again, don't nod your head and think that I am a little crazy, maybe I am, and maybe I'm just wasting my time with this... but I want this phone to start fresh, of course I am going to sync the same mp3 music files, podcasts and apps I already own. Not a big deal, but everything else I want to start new.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.