(Can you) install a bootable windows 7 operating system onto a thumb drive.

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by TheDavinHarris, Nov 27, 2013.

1. TheDavinHarris, Nov 27, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2013

TheDavinHarris macrumors newbie

One of my co workers is purchasing a new MacBook Pro with Retina, and he wants to be able to run his windows partition on a 128GB Thumb Drive, due to the fact that his internal HD is restricted to the SSD storage sizes. Is this possible?
    I found that you can prepare the drive for hosting a Windows OS, but I'm not sure how to go about installing all of the proper Boot Camp Drivers, etc.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks, Davin.

2. Quackers macrumors 6502a

Not sure about Windows 7 but try Googling "Windows to go". It may be possible only with Windows 8/8.1, not sure.

3. xcodeSyn macrumors 6502a

Not possible to install Win 7 on a USB thumb drive, but you could do it with a Win 8/8.1 Enterprise version or use an external Thunderbolt-connected hard drive to run Win 7 as explained in this thread. Read posts #7 and #10 for more details.

4. Ccrew macrumors 68020

5. saturnotaku, Dec 3, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  6. xcodeSyn macrumors 6502a

7. Ccrew macrumors 68020

It'll boot to either since it has a recognizable boot sector.

8. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

I cannot as I read the OP's post wrong; I thought it was about using an external drive to install Windows onto the MBP, not run the OS from it.

9. biohead macrumors 6502

10. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Actually I suggest that you research the function of a .wim file before you say that.

Essentially what you're doing in those instructions is turning the install media ISO which you have copied to a local drive into an offline image install that's stored on the USB. Exactly the same idea that Windows Installation Services or Windows Automated Installation uses.

Same Principle Win7PE uses. http://reboot.pro/topic/12427-win7pe-se-release/
    But you're right, I'm only the Tier 3 lead over 3200 desktops in an enterprise, I really don't have a clue how to do this.

11. biohead macrumors 6502

At the end of the day, the OP was looking for a method to install a typical Windows 7 installation to a USB drive - which this isn't :rolleyes:

It requires a lot more work than a standard installation, which unless you know what you're doing never ends well. But a Tier 3 lead would know that right :D

12. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Agreed, but frankly both links I've posted don't make the reality of doing it all that overly difficult. While Win8 makes it pretty no-brainer it's not that it can't be done with Win7, which is what I responded to.