Can you install a second hard drive on a Mac desktop?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Porkplan, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Porkplan macrumors newbie

I have a 21.5 inch mid 2011 mac desktop. I want to install a second hard drive for boot camp because I'm afraid that I might loose files if I install windows on my Macintosh HD. Is this possible or should I not be worried of loosing my files if I choose to use Macintosh HD Instead?

2. nightmars macrumors member

nightmars

You can absolutely do that. Ifixit provides some easy to follow guides to do exactly what you're looking for. Just pick your model and then click on the Hard Drive repair/ Dual HDD guide:

https://www.ifixit.com/Device/iMac_Intel

3. tyche macrumors 6502

Bootcamp will properly resize your HDD with no data loss. If still want a second HDD for size reasons just follow nightmars's info.

4. Porkplan thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi thank you for your answers :) would you advise me to install it on my own or have it installed on a shop?

5. tyche macrumors 6502

Taking an imac apart isn't easy although 2011 is better than the thin models. I installed an SSD in my 2010 iMac and it involved some swearing and I learned a lot if I ever do it again.

Best to read a guide and make sure you have the correct tools up front. Taking the screen off you have to be careful not to get it dirty or fingerprints. If you're not comfortable working on electronics I would suggest you find someone to to the work. If you've ever added parts to a desktop computer before you can do this but again read a guide or watch a YouTube video of someone opening up a 2011 iMac to see what is involved.