Can you install a writing app (word?) on iPod Touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by gandolf1000, Oct 9, 2007.

1. gandolf1000 macrumors newbie

Hi all. Never had an iPod before and I was thinking of buying the iPod touch. I couldn't find a definitive answer on this forum so I was wondering if someone can shed light on this. Can I use a hack on the iPod touch to install a third party app so that I can write notes/ letters on the go. It doesn't have to be anything as comprehensive as Microsoft Word, but I would like to be able to write it on the iPod Touch then transfer it into an app like Word or Pages when I get home. I'm a bit of newbie on all of this so sorry if this seems like a silly question. I couldn't find answers in this forum. Thanks all!

2. FunkyMonkey macrumors 6502

3rd party apps can't be put on the Touch yet because no one has been able to hack it. Have patience.

3. ebel3003 macrumors 6502a

ebel3003

Currently there are no publicly released hacks for the iPod Touch. However, I'm sure there will be fairly soon.

4. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

as people have said there are no hacks for it yet, but progress is being made and Hacks should be out in a week or so. once Hacks are out it will just depend on whether someone has written the app for it or not.

5. gandolf1000 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies everyone. Just wondering: can you use the hack for iPhone on the iPod Touch? I'm asking because I think I read somewhere that they're using the same "watered-down" operating system.

That being said, should I just buy the iPod Touch now and hope that the hack and app comes out soon?

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Vigilante macrumors 6502a

Vigilante

No, they are different. It will be around soon, though.

7. Football1maniac macrumors regular

Football1maniac

On the Contacts App for the iPod touch, you can add notes by creating a contact and putting notes for it. I've used this quite often as second usage until Apple releases the Notes App.:apple:

8. gandolf1000 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey Football1maniac. Thanks for the tip. I'm this close to buying the iPod Touch tomorrow.:D

9. jaypee68 macrumors regular

I'm sure it would be very easy for you to get a Gmail account and then use Google Docs. Google Docs has a word processor, a spreadsheet, and they just added a powerpoint type app. The word processor was acquired by Google some time ago and used to be known as Writely. It's web based and should work in Safari since Gmail does, but I'm not 100% on that because I don't have a Touch anymore to verify.

The Google word proc let's you save your docs by exporting them as HTML, RTF, Word, OpenOffice, PDF, or text. When you export them to these formats, they are saved as downloads on your PC. You could type up your doc in Google Docs on your Touch, save it for a later D'l, get home, and export it to your PC/Mac. I hope this helps. :)

10. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

I don't think you can create/edit documents on Google Docs yet with the iPhone/Touch, can you? (problem with soft keyboard or something like that.)

For notes and such, the Contacts app works surprisingly good. Your notes on the Touch are synced over to your computer, and you can use groups to organize your notes (I think you need to create the groups on your Mac/PC and then they will sync over to the Touch.) Both these abilities are currently lacking in the Notes app on the iPhone.

11. jaypee68 macrumors regular

I used Gmail on the touch to write and send emails so I assumed that Google docs would work in the same way. Crap, now I'm curious, wish I hadn't traded in my Touch for a Series 3 TiVo. :)

12. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

Just post a new thread and ask someone to try. ;)

(I don't have my Touch yet, but I read it's basically read-only documents for the time being.)

13. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

Im sure its painful

I tried google maps through mobileSafari, can't imagine when you use google doc.

you have to do too many dragging and zooming on top of simple input, its just not practically useful at all!

14. speedyraf macrumors member

Can someone clarify?

I understand the notion of creating a "notes" entry on the contacts. It makes sense. Approximately how many lines can one put in the notes section to have the whole thing display properly on the iPod Touch? Thanks.

15. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

I don't have a Touch right now (returned my Week 37, new one on order), but it would show a fair amount of text. You can also scroll the contact page, so that you can view the entire note without having to edit it.

For a workaround, it works very well. My only complaint is having to hit 'add new field', instead of having the note field in the default list of fields. But it's just one extra click.