Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
I have two Macs. One of the Macs has a broken optical drive. Can I install OS X on it using Target Disk Mode (connect the Mac with the broken optical drive to the other Mac, boot it up in Target Disk Mode, then boot the other Mac with the installation DVD, and choose the other Mac as a installation disk)?

If not, is there any other ways?

matthutch

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2004
Perth, Western Australia
I have two Macs. One of the Macs has a broken optical drive. Can I install OS X on it using Target Disk Mode (connect the Mac with the broken optical drive to the other Mac, boot it up in Target Disk Mode, then boot the other Mac with the installation DVD, and choose the other Mac as a installation disk)?

I did this very thing not more than 2 weeks ago, so yes you should be able to without too much trouble. You may run into trouble if one machine is Intel and the other PPC as I don't think you can Target disk mode one into the other (please correct me if I am wrong though).

I did it using Leopard Server as the machine it was going on had no optical drive (currently residing in another PC).

rake_mistry

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2008
🇨🇦
You may run into trouble if one machine is Intel and the other PPC as I don't think you can Target disk mode one into the other (please correct me if I am wrong though).

Actually, it still works if one is Intel and the other is PPC. As for if it works with installing OS X, I'm not sure, but you can for sure connect with target disk mode.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Actually, it still works if one is Intel and the other is PPC. As for if it works with installing OS X, I'm not sure, but you can for sure connect with target disk mode.

It does work for installing OS X. I installed leopard on my powerbook with a broken optical drive by putting the disk into my mac mini, booting up the mini into target disk mode and connecting it to the powerbook. The powerbook saw the disk and let me install from it.

iHerzeleid

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007

The simple answer: yes.

Sthsdbz

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2010
Can you do the reverse?

I have an old emac with a broken optical drive which can't boot but will go into disk mode. My new iMac doesn't like the idea of installing OSX onto it...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.