Can you install Windows 7 Ultimate on Bootcamp using this?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dr. Rosenpenis, May 10, 2011.

1. Dr. Rosenpenis macrumors newbie

http://www.discountmountainsoftware.com/miwi7ulupoem.html

Hello all: this is my first post. I just purchased VMWare Fusion, and before I purchase the costly MS Widows 7 Ultimate 32 bit installation disc, I was wondering what disk can I use!

There are plenty of different versions, such as the "full," the "branded," and the "branded upgrade."

The thing about Apple support is ... well, they are very hostile!

Appreciation for any advice ... preferably on what has worked! No, I won't go that low to buy "genuine" software on ebay, I just need to know what version will work at the cheapest price (no need to buy the "full retail" version).

Peace!

2. CJS7070 macrumors 6502a

CJS7070

Will it work? Probably. But by using an OEM edition, you are violating Microsoft's license agreement--OEM installations are for custom-built systems only. In fact, there's actually a seal on the packaging stating just that which you need to break to get the software.

3. spectre51 macrumors 6502

spectre51

Any version full version should work or if you have an older version of windows you can get an upgrade copy which might be cheaper.

4. Dr. Rosenpenis thread starter macrumors newbie

Di you actually look at the link I posted? In the item description for this Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit branded upgrade, it says in bold: Please note: This product will give you the option to do a full install.

I have nothing to upgrade from, but apparently it can do a full install.

There is no way I would be violating MS terms if I purchase any OEM MS software; it can only be used on one computer.

5. Dr. Rosenpenis thread starter macrumors newbie

Full Retail

Full Retail packaging may include a cardboard or plastic box, or a DVD case(similar to a DVD movie case). Tech support from the manufacturer is generally included in Full Retail products, which can vary from installation tech support to a limited number of tech support incidents. The extent of tech support depends on the manufacturer and the product. Printed manuals are generally included (but not always). This packaging is similar to, if not the same as one would find in a major electronics store such as Wal-Mart or Office Depot.

OEM

OEM packaging includes the installation disc(s), Certificate of Authenticity, and product keycode(if needed). OEM is different from Full Retail in the following ways: OEM does not come in a retail box, it does not include printed manuals, cannot be transferred to another computer (even if the original computer breaks), and is not eligible for free technical support from the manufacturer. Help files can usually be found on the disc and printed out. OEM software is the same software as the Full Retail and can be upgraded, it just comes in different packing.

Branded OEM

Branded software will have a HP or Dell logo on the disc, but you can install it on any Windows based computer. It is the same as the regular OEM as far as packaging and functionality.

CD & Key

CD & Key packaging includes the installation disc(s) and a product key for activation(if needed). CD & Key is different than Full Retail in the following ways: the software does not come in a Retail Box or DVD case, it does not come with printed manuals, does not include a Certificate of Authenticity (COA), and may or may not include technical suppport. The discs and/or packaging may include “promotional labeling,” but under USA copyright law, any such labeling becomes inapplicable as soon as it reaches our market.

Product Key

Product Key packaging includes just a product key and does not include the installation discs.

Academic

Academic software includes the same software and packaging as the regular retail versions but with a label "Academic" on the box and is "Academically priced." The software is not limited or different from the commercial version. Manufacturers offer Academic software to Students and Teachers at discounted prices, but again, the software is not different in any way than the Commercial version. DiscountMountainSoftware does not require any proof that you will be using academic software for academic use nor does the manufacturer. It is on the honor system between you and the manufacturer.

Upgrade

Upgrade software comes in a retail box or DVD case, and includes everything a retail box product would normally include. You must be running an eligible previous version of the software on your system to use an upgrade. Please refer to our product description to see if your computer is eligible for the Upgrade version. You may also want to contact the manufacturer directly to ensure you can upgrade.

6. CJS7070 macrumors 6502a

CJS7070

From Microsoft

7. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

My experience is this:
    - Obviously buying the "full" full version works.
    - You can also buy a upgrade and upgrade the upgrade you just bought (I have not done this even though i have personally done this)
    Thats pretty much it.

8. spectre51 macrumors 6502

spectre51

Yes I did look at the link which is why I said any full version should work (and as you pointed out twice that copy provides the full install option) but also offered up the possible cheaper option of an upgrade "if" you had a previous version.

9. Dr. Rosenpenis thread starter macrumors newbie

- Makes no sense.

No one has definitively answered my question. Please do not volunteer any extraneous info as to whether or not I actually can legally use it. I can. The question is if it will work, then the branded upgrades will be perfect for me and the least expensive as they can be used as either an upgrade or a full install, both will work perfect. With Macs the issue is always whether OEM or retail is needed and only they can tell you (which none of you have definitively have - please start another discussion if you want to argue the legality of it).

In other words, I would much rather spend $114.10 instead of $172.98 if both would work the same, so if anyone out there has experience with this, please let me know. I do not want to "probably" try it for $114.10, and it is a complete waste. Thanks.

10. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

11. Vurius macrumors newbie

Is there a reason that you want to install the 32 bit version of Windows 7? The machine supports 64 bit, and I would highly recommend that you use the 64 bit version unless you have a really compelling reason to do otherwise, like hardware non-support (which isn't the case here).

12. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

A consideration is that some third-party hardware manufacturers do not provide drivers for 64-bit Windows installs. The number is dwindling, but there are still some stragglers. Do not forget, there tends to be a lot of hardware available that works with Windows and the legacy support is significant. With Apple and Mac OS X, you do not have to worry as much because there is a smaller pool of manufacturers and Apple tends to cut legacy support cold.

13. WildGuess macrumors regular

14. Dr. Rosenpenis thread starter macrumors newbie

This is very true. I would like to go with 64-bit, but I will tell my schpeel. Most of the world uses 32-bit drivers on their goods (i.e., printers, etc.) at this point. I am going to grad school in less than 2 months, and they do not give us the option to buy a new computer...they will simply give us one and take $2000.00 out of my student loan account (I paid way more than that for my MBP)! I cannot opt out in order for everyone in my class to get this "discount." Last year it was a Dell Latitude tablet PC. I have a MBP, and even though they do not have touchscreen capabilities (I have a smartphone, why do I need this on my laptop), they are obviously far superior technology! This is coming from someone who has dealt with PCs most of the time (although I was ushered into the computer world with Macs). They also told me the same thing about the printer drivers and software BS. They also told me that I am not allowed to sell the new computer they will "give me," and the previous students tell me 'ohh it is sooo much easier to deal with, just keep the Dell,' and I was told by IT that they will have no support available for me if something goes wrong with my MBP!

Direct quote from their laptop program information: "Each student has a $2000 fee which will cover the purchase of the laptop, software, warranties and peripherals. Combining these purchases allows each class to receive even greater discounts, and allows a standardized model across the institution.

The chosen laptop “bundle” will be given to each incoming student during orientation, and is non-refundable/returnable."

Yeah, I just love it when you do not have choices at all!

Having said this, I would really want to install 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate, but to keep it safe and avoid any driver problems, I decided (it really took me awhile) to go 32-bit. I will try and sell this laptop (it is not going to be a Mac!) as fast as I can on ebay or craigslist!!!

15. Dr. Rosenpenis thread starter macrumors newbie

Movie reference. Check out Fletch when you have the time for laughs. Chevy Chase did a fantastic job in that movie!

16. Dr. Rosenpenis thread starter macrumors newbie

Man, some people are mean, all giving me a thumbs down! Yes, I am going to be brutally honest here that I am a Mac noob, but thanks for nothing if one blabs out things that do not help. A simple "yes" or "no" will suffice. Like I said, I did not get an answer, so I actually made an appointment with a Mac Genius at my local Apple Store, and YES IT IS PERFECTLY FINE TO USE AN OEM VERSION OF WINDOWS 7! I am glad you all that gave me a hard time was not the captain of a ship, you were steering everyone into no man's land. I answered my own question, case closed.

17. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

Some thoughts:

1. Are you a student? You can get Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit (and 32bit) versions for $20.00. Check with your school or bookstore...

2. Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit (and 32bit) will allow you to do a full install. However, your key might not register it. Look here The MediaBoot Reg file is a must.

3. I would strongly opt for the 64 bit version as the 32bit version will have trouble with memory above 3.5 Gig.

-P

18. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

I am saying you could if you wanted to use the upgrade install. What I meant was you do a fresh install of the upgrade, boot from the disk again select the bootcamp drive you just installed to and press install. I don't recommend doing this but it does work.

19. Dr. Rosenpenis thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your refreshing post (thumbs way up)!

1. I am to be a student, but the school I will be attending to does not have a campus computer store. I am not considered to be a "current student" at the university I went to back in '08, so I was barred from getting any MS software (although I was able to pick up a copy of Fusion for $39) from their campus computer store! So it wasn't for a lack of trying.

2. Thank you!

3. I was seriously considering 32-bit ... can you elaborate on what is the trouble with memory above 3.5 gig? When would this occur (may be a rhetorical question - do you mean when a device consumes more than 3.5 gigs? what are the problems?).

20. Dr. Rosenpenis thread starter macrumors newbie

BTW, another thing to consider is that the previous class had Windows 7 Pro 32-bit as their OS on their Dells.

I like Ultimate, and since the "encouraged" PCs came with a 32-bit OS, I am influenced to go with a 32-bit OS, then again, I disagree with what this laptop committee chose and their "no-exceptions" rules, so I will say, sure, there are exceptions!!!

21. Dr. Rosenpenis thread starter macrumors newbie

Good point to bring up ... true, support for the machine, but not from my school (I think that is just a scare tactic of theirs ... I hope). Against the school's advice, I plan to sell that laptop they will "encourage" us to have, and "wing it" with my MBP. I have heard from a student who graduated that all I need are:

1. MS PP/Excel/Word - check (2011)
    2. Printer drivers in order for the wireless campus printers to work on my MBP (the student informed me that he actually got in touch with IT staff, and they helped him with these drivers).