Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darksheep

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2009
Hi i would liek to install windows 7 on my mac . I know how to do it when you have mac osx installed and ou start the boot camp assistant from inside mac osx . But is there a way to have a clean drive with no os on it at all and then just boot of the osx cd and start boot camp like that ?

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
Probably, but I suspect that when Windows came to format the hard drive would do it in a way that would mean you couldn't install (or boot) from OSX without re-erasing the Windows partition.

Short Answer: (For the sake of ease) probably not.

darksheep

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2009
Probably, but I suspect that when Windows came to format the hard drive would do it in a way that would mean you couldn't install (or boot) from OSX without re-erasing the Windows partition.

Short Answer: (For the sake of ease) probably not.

i dont really care about mac osx i just want windows on the mac .
Causei have 2 macs and no normal pcs and i need windows for my dev work .
and dont want to waist sapce onthe one laptop with mac osx cause i will not use it .

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
Ok.... Well seems strange that you bought a Mac when you wanted Windows but ok, well again, like I said, it's probably going to be far easier to just do the whole OSX and Windows thing, but partition the Mac side to maybe 20GB (whatever the limit is to install OSX) and do it that way.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
You can easily wipe out OS X, just hold down "Alt/Option" during boot with the Windows install disc of your choice in the optical drive, select the installer and you are off to the races.

As Schtumple suggests, you are best off though keeping OS X around, even if only on some external drive. (e.g. if you are upgrading the internal HDD, keep the original in an enclosure so you can boot from it.) Any necessary firmware updates are only provided via Software Update on OS X.

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.