Can you jailbreak after going to 1.1.2 without having it jailbroken before?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by ks-man, Nov 16, 2007.

1. ks-man macrumors 6502a

I recently got my touch and upgraded to 1.1.2 to get the calendar functionality.

Now I've been reading and am considering jailbreaking, but it seems that you must first install the "oktoprep" which I believe you can only do on a jailbroken 1.1.1.

If I revert back to 1.1.1 it seems that having upgrading to 1.1.2 fixed the TIFF exploit so you can't jailbreak it and thus can't install the "oktoprep" which is needed for after you upgrade to 1.1.2.

So my question is, is there anyway to jailbreak my touch at this time with it on 1.1.2 and it never being previously jailbroken? If not it seems that people will have problems when the new Ipod touches are purchased and come with 1.1.2.

This of course may all be moot in a week or two if there becomes another way to jailbreak 1.1.2.

Thanks for the help.

2. dagored macrumors 65816

You answered the questions yourself. 1.1.1 has the exploit. Oktoprep sets up the Touch to be exploited in 1.1.2. A very simple explanation on my part.

So, downgrading to 1.1.1 allows you to patch 1.1.2. It is a very simple and easy process. My biggest problem was getting Cuztomizie to work. After 30 minutes, I now have everything in 1.1.2 as I had it in 1.1.1. Excellent.

3. ks-man thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok,

The way I understood it was downgrading to 1.1.1 after having been on 1.1.2 would not reinstate the TIFF exploit ability. It seems that this isn't the case and if you downgrade to 1.1.1 the security vulnerability is still there. Go figure that one out :D

4. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

well of course, the 1.1.1 firmware simply re-writes the files on the touch which inturn puts the exploit back on ;)