Can You Jailbreak or Hack a 2.0.1 iPod Touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by saqib154, Aug 8, 2008.

1. saqib154 macrumors newbie

I am a total nubcake and i just upgraded to 2.0.1
    I was wondering if there is a stable way i can jailbreak it.
    Please tell me if you have any info.

2. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

Tonight the iPhone dev team will update their "PwnageTool" to be compatible with the 2.0.1 firmware for iPhone/iPod Touch. Check modmyifone.com for a guide tonight or tommorrow.

3. saqib154 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey thanks man
    But i updated my iPod touch using my itunes account and paid $10
    Would i get into illegal trouble if i jailbroke my iPod touch?

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

No, the worst that can happen is you lose your warranty on the Touch, so if anything goes wrong with it, and you are unable to restore (which I understand is rare), then you end up with a very expensive paperweight.

5. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

Like he said very rare that anything irreversible happens. No legal trouble though :p

6. saqib154 thread starter macrumors newbie

But can't you download anything off itunes for free when you jailbreak your iPod?

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

No, jailbreaking shouldn't affect the way you interact with iTunes. However, if you can't find the answer to simple questions like this on your own, perhaps you are better off not jailbreaking -- as I said, it does void your warranty, and if you run into problems, you are basically on your own.

8. rje macrumors regular

How can it void your warranty? The device can be fully restored in iTunes. This is a red herring, as they say.

9. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

True enough, but you can't exactly call up Apple Support and say, "Hi, I tried to jailbreak my Touch and it's now dead, how do I restore it?"

10. rje macrumors regular

And who do you think would be stupid enough to do that?

11. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Well, that was my point -- you can't. Therefore if anything went wrong with a jailbroken Touch, you can't get any help from Apple, you are on your own.

12. rje macrumors regular

First of all, you can't brick an iPhone or an iPod. If you're unfortunate enough to do it, it can be easily undone, and it probably won't happen. If you are so desperate for tech support, how hard is it to restore the device before taking it to the Genius Bar? This is really a moot point. Nobody on this planet should ever face the wrath of Apple because of a jailbreak. It's easy to remove and easy to restore. And even if you have a jailbroken device, does the rep on the phone at Apple Support know it? How can he/she know it?

13. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

This is true. I think all Night Spring was trying to say, is that if you do somehow brick your iPhone/iPod Touch (though extremely unlikely), you're pretty much hosed

14. rje macrumors regular

Let me tell you something, with respect. You cannot brick an iphone/iPod. Find me two people you know who have done it in a way that was irreparable. Give me any messed up iPhone, and I'll fix it for you, and I'm no geek.

15. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

:) The good thing is, I can't even name one person that's screwed it up beyond repair

16. saqib154 thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright thanks for all the help
    But i have still have some questions.

I had a 1.1.4 firmware iPod Touch which i updated to 2.0.1 directly through itunes and paid $10 for.

Do i use the PwnageTool 2.0.2 to jailbreak my itouch?
    Found here: http://www.modmyifone.com/forums/news/280001-pwnagetool-2-0-2-available.html

But it says it is only for the 1st generation and 3G iPhone.
    Can i still use PwnageTool 2.0.2 to jailbreak my itouch?

I am confused please help. :confused:

17. rje macrumors regular

You're absolutely right. Surfing the web, you keep coming across posts by people saying things like "I would never jailbreak my iPhone. Who knows what could happen?"

Nothing can happen. All of this springs from fear of the unknown, and nothing else.

18. TimJim macrumors 6502a

Read up on jailbreaking OP, it doesn't let you download things off iTunes for free.

19. rje macrumors regular

Yes. Use it for your Touch. The hard part wil be when it searches for the firmware. It's almost impossible to find for the Touch. Here is where you get it. Download the right one - ipod 5B108.

http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/

20. rje macrumors regular

Forget about it. It lets you do whatever you can do now.

21. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

Just jailbroke my Iphone 3G with the new PwnageTool. Worked like a dream

22. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

How many threads do you see in this forum saying: HELP!! I BRICKED MY IPHONE/TOUCH?

True, most of them are fiixed after forum members calm these people down and talk them through the process. But it sure makes me think twice about jailbreaking my Touch. The steps for jailbreaking *are* somewhat complex, and I really think people who have to be handheld every single step of the way have no business messing with jailbreaking.

23. rje macrumors regular

It's challenging with Pwnage Tool. There were easier ways before 2.0. Nevertheless, it isn't rocket science. In fact, it's pretty easy. If one of you kids needs personal help, PM me.

24. 01jamcon macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

Dude, you're right, it was so hard to find the right firmware, downloading now. Thank you.

25. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

You should also be able to hit "update" in iTunes and select the "Download Only" option when prompted. That will download the firmware file to your computer and Pwnage knows right where it is.