Can you lay down ethernet between two houses?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by egilaslak, Jul 29, 2009.

1. egilaslak macrumors newbie

Hi!
    My mother has a ceramics workshop, and would like to have internet there as well. Problem is, the only cables going from our house to the workshop are electrical and an old copper phoneline. It's about 50 meters with a lot of trees between the houses, and I don't think we'll go for a wireless solution. But can you use an old telephone line to connect in some way? This might be a stupid question, but I'm just asking.

And if not (wich I expect) - how do you lay down 50 meters of Ethernet Cable in a good way? We have cold winters here in norway. ;)

Comments, anyone?

2. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

There are ethernet adapters to plug into the power outlet of your house. If the buildings share electricity, you could do it that way.

3. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

I think if you head down to a local hardware store for electricians they'll probably have a solution for you which you may involve putting the ethernet cable inside a longer conduit to protect it from the cold and getting damaged by other stuff.

The Ethernet-over-power might just work (above poster) but I've no idea how reliable they are in your situation.

4. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

You can always put the cable into conduit piping and bury it. Drill a few holes in the conduit before running the cable just in case water gets in it, it will have some where to get out of the conduit. I have done this for 8 years now with no problems...

5. oculus42 macrumors 6502

Can be done.

Remember that a maximum run for Cat5 is 100 meters, so you should put a a switch at either end of the cable (your router at one end should be fine).

6. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

That shouldn't be a problem for him as he said he only needs 50 meters...