Can you listen to music while not connected to iPhone?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by shahin90, Apr 23, 2015.

1. shahin90 macrumors regular

I know you can store music on the Apple Watch itself, but do you need to be connected to the phone to play music? I'd love to take the watch with me when I go running and not my large phone.

2. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

You get 1gb of music space, so yes. Need bluetooth headphones though.

3. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

If you can store music on the WATCH, you can certainly listen to it without the presence of an iPhone. It's likely you'll need Bluetooth headphones, not sure it will just play out of its speaker.

----------

I read 2GB out of the included 8GB somewhere.

4. shahin90 thread starter macrumors regular

Yea I do have bluetooth headphones. This is great news :D

5. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

yes, as long as you sync some music to your Apple Watch, you can listen without your iPhone with you.

However, you won't be able to track how far you ran without your iPhone as the Apple Watch does not have a GPS. Since the AW learns over time the more you wear it paired to the iPhone, theoretically it will learn your stride and movement and could potentially give a somewhat accurate distance based on step count, height and the data it's collected on you. But that's all hypothetical.

If you want distance run, you need your iPhone with you. Otherwise, all data collected while you run gets synced when you come back into range.

6. shahin90 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! Hopefully it will be accurate enough overtime to use it without my iPhone.

7. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

Reviews say it pretty accurate though, and more accurate with time.