Can you 'login in the background'?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sammich, Jun 18, 2007.

1. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

I was just curious, since it may save me some time (this is more of a convenience), but is it possible to have the computer log you in, in the background, when it first boots up? It usually takes 3-5 mins for the computer to completely finish loading up everything (+ dashboard).

Clarifying: automatic login is disabled, for security. So in the rare event that I do restart, I might walk away. But I want my computer to stay at the login window the whole time and my user to start logging in when it first gets to that stage. This is so when I return, I can immediately start using it PLUS have the security of not enabling auto login.

I was thinking of having a startup item (script) that will somehow just use the fast user switch back to the login window. Possible?

Cheers,
    Sam.

2. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

So what you're saying is, you want to login without logging in. Don't think that's going to happen. I understand you want things to load in the background but still require you to enter a password. In most mutli-user situations that wouldn't make sense though.

That sounds like a good plan. Dunno if it can be done, but it seems possible. Or, perhaps you could have the script lock the screen (VIA Keychain Access) immediately after login.