Can you mail in MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RossMc, Jun 3, 2010.

1. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

I have a problem with my MBP and I phoned Apple before about it and the person on the phone said that there is a Apple store near me back home and I could take it there to get fixed.

I was going to do that but realised I won't be able to get over anytime soon because of work etc.

Can you get Apple to send a box out and mail you MBP in like you can do with the iPhone?

2. NStocks macrumors 65816

Yes. Well it took a bit of convincing to make my Apple rep. set up a collection but they do do it. Where are you located?

3. RossMc thread starter macrumors 65816

RossMc

I live in the UK I will give them a ring again later and see if I can get them to do that if not I will just have to leave it until I can get time to take it over.

4. NStocks macrumors 65816

They will probably tell you where it is going to be sent, such as an AASP. In my experience, Group 8 are the most common and in my case the worse possible service provider. They don't treat you as a customer, but rather a figure (number) in my opinion... My 6 page thread about my experience explains it all

Not that I mean to put you off using Group 8, your issues may be easily solved by the 'technicians' ;)

5. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

6. RossMc thread starter macrumors 65816

RossMc

Hmm I just phoned back and spoke to someone and told them that I would not be able to get to the store for a while and could I mail it in but he said that you have to go to the store in person and there is no way to mail it in :confused:

7. NStocks macrumors 65816

Where did you buy your Mac?

8. RossMc thread starter macrumors 65816

RossMc

9. NStocks macrumors 65816

I did the same... What did you tell them when they asked you to take it to a store or a nearby Service provider ?

I told them that I'm at university and can't get to a store and that the reason for not buying instore is becase I live to far away from one...

10. RossMc thread starter macrumors 65816

RossMc

I bought it over the phone because I was down University at the time and there was not a Apple store near me.

I am back home now and there is a Apple store in Newcastle which is about 20-30 minutes drive away from me but I don't have a car and I have got a summer job till I go back down University so I don't know when I would be able to get over to the store to get it looked at id have to take the bus as well so its not like I could go on my dinner break or anything.

11. NStocks macrumors 65816

What did you tell Apple ? Did you say you live 20 mins away from a store ? If so, they probably won't let you mail it in as it's much faster to take it to a store...

I know that's probably not possible but to Apple that's aeecptable...

I live over 100 miles away from an Apple Store.

12. RossMc thread starter macrumors 65816

RossMc

I told the first guy I spoke to my postcode and he looked and said there was an Apple store in Newcastle I could take it to.

Then when I rang back up to see if I could do it mail in instead I told the guy that I had phoned up earlier and I wouldn't be able to get to the Apple store for a while and is there anyway I could mail it in.

He said that I would have to go to the Apple store in person and that its safer because if I mailed it in then I would be trusting Royal Mail with my Macbook Pro.

Maybe the guy didn't know what I meant by mail in as he mentioned Royal Mail and every time I have sent my iPhone in for a repair I have had a box sent out to me and then UPS have came to pick the item up it has never been Royal Mail.

13. NStocks macrumors 65816

Correct. Apple use UPS for their collection service. I can't blame them, royal mail are a waste of time.

Maybe call them again and say you are at Uni, but then they will see that it is being collected from your home address (though mine was too!)

14. Mirabella macrumors regular

Yes, you can mail it in.

At least in the US, this is the way it worked for me: Rather than going to the Genius Bar, call Apple Support. Once they determine there is a problem, they ask whether you'd rather take the MBP to an Apple Store, or mail it in. Say you want to mail it in, and then they Federal Express a MBP shipping box to you, the next day. You use that box to ship it in.. It comes with very clear instructions how to pack it, label it, use it, etc. Everything comes set up very organized and easy to handle, with everything you need included.

That's all there is to it.