Can you make a backup copy of installed applications?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by lupine79, Oct 8, 2010.

1. lupine79 macrumors newbie

Hello!

I have a Powerbook g4 (10.4.1) that i really need to install os 9 on. To do this i need to use the original os install discs, and downgrade from tiger to whatever it was before that. Ideally i want to do a clean re-install on the powerbook.

However, i have an old copy of cubase on there (sx 1) that i need to keep hold of, because of some old recordings i've not finished with. I've tried to use migration assistant but it won't work between my powerbook (ppc) and my imac (intel).

Is there any way to back up cubase - in its installed state - so i can put it back on after the clean reinstall? I don't have the cubase disc, only the application on my powerbook.

I'm a bit worried that newer versions of cubase won't open the sx 1 files. (I know i'm leaning towards an audio issue here but the actual enquiry is an OS one!!)

Cheers in advance.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You can use (older versions of) CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to make an image of your existing Mac OS X installation to an external HDD (USB or Firewire, though Firewire is preferred due to boot-ability) and clone the image back whenever you need to or even boot from the external Firewire HDD while Mac OS 10.3 or whatever other OS you want to install is still on the PB.

Easily boot from USB 2.0 drives on PowerPC Macs
    Boot your PowerPC Mac from an external USB drive

3. lupine79 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. BertyBoy macrumors 6502

Which PowerBook G4 ?

800MHz or slower, you should just have to boot from the original OS9 Install disc that came with it.

867MHz or faster, OS9.2.2 is installed from the Restore CD while booted into OSX, OSX 10.4 is fine.

Either way, you shouldn't have to compromise your OSX 10.4 installation and Apps by installing OS9.