Can you make a Carbon Copy Cloner and Time Machine backup on the same drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nathanindo, Sep 21, 2009.

1. nathanindo macrumors newbie

Just wondering if this was possible. I only own one 500gb firewire drive and don't want the Time Machine app that came with my MBP to just sit there uselessly while I use CCC.

2. Fishrrman macrumors G3

RE:
    "Just wondering if this was possible. I only own one 500gb firewire drive and don't want the Time Machine app that came with my MBP to just sit there uselessly while I use CCC."

I'm going to _guess_ and say "no", UNLESS you partition the drive (and then use one partition for Time Machine and the the other for CCC).

In my opinion (and it's my opinion only), Carbon Copy Cloner will create a vastly more "usable" and valuable backup. Time Machine will [eventually] clog up your backup drive with version after version of the same file. And it won't be bootable.

With CCC, you can create a fully-bootable "dupe" of the contents of your internal drive. Got a problem with the internal? Just boot from the backup. You CAN'T do that with a Time Machine backup. What kind of "backup" is that?

I've never used Time Machine and don't intend to. When Apple includes a _functional_ backup utility with the OS, then I'll use it. But not yet.

- John

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

I have two external 500gb drives via FW400.
    Disk one: Two partitions: one for SuperDuper (similar to CCC)
    One for Time Machine
    Disk Two: Two partitions: One for SuperDuper
    One for misc backups.

I use SuperDuper to backup before running software update and switch them regularly. At the moment, I have 10.5.7 on one SuperDuper clone and 10.5.8 on the other.

Never hurts to be redundant. I don't really use Time Machine much, but it's good for losing a file or two.

you can only share the drive if you partition it.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It can, but you'll be better off with two separate drives. CCC will ignore the folder that contains TM but given the nature of TM, you'll probably start running out of space as Time Machine backs up your system hourly.

external hard drives are extremely inexpensive now a days and you can daisy chain FW drives so that you can hook both up w/o consuming two FW ports.