Can you make a "PDF Scroll"?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Pyrrh, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Pyrrh macrumors newbie

I'm Printing/Saving as a PDF a website with both text and images on it. To see what I mean, glance quickly over this site (which is the one I'm actually trying to print - the first chapter, that is):
    http://www.gutenberg.org/files/2895/2895-h/p1.htm

I can 'Save as PDF' (and print selection) just fine. But when I look at the PDF in Preview, I'm disappointed that many of the images have been chopped in half. :(

My question is: Is there an App out there that can print a website as a PDF...but for the resulting PDF to be like a scroll, just one continuous page?

I'm also asking if there's a Firefox or Safari plugin, or OSX feature, or whatever that can do this for me. But this being the Apps forum, these other requests are only implied. :p

P.S: I wasn't sure if I should post in the Mac OSX forum, or here - I figured that since there's probably an App that can help me, I'd post here.)

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

There's add-ons for Firefox that will take a screen shot of a web page and captures the full scroll range, not just what's currently viewable. You could then either view the image as is or open it in preview and save as PDF from there. There might be some 3rd apps that can do this as well.

3. Pyrrh thread starter macrumors newbie

I found (pretty much) what I wanted in the freeware app Paparazzi! :
    http://derailer.org/paparazzi/screenshots

It let me print an entire webpage as one long, continuous PDF (and also had the options of saving as JPEG, PNG, and TIFF file formats). I could only print the entire website, though: I would have liked to print only a certain range of it, or (ideally) what I had highlighted. So now, I'll figure out how to crop a PDF. :eek:

What I really, really appreciated about the PDF that Paparazzi output, is that I could highlight the text on the webpage in Preview. :D