Can you make a ringtone using garageband from audio from a movie?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by AnimalPaintball, Dec 9, 2008.

1. AnimalPaintball macrumors regular

AnimalPaintball

Not so much from a soundtrack. But maybe play a movie and get a sound byte from the movie, then use it for a ringtone, using garage band?

Thnx
    Mondo

2. notintheleast macrumors 6502

notintheleast

I do believe you will have to extract the audio from the movie first, then take the audio file and convert it to a ringtone in GB. Try google for a program to extract audio from a video.

I'm not positive on wether or not you will have to extract the audio first, but I know that it will work if you do.

3. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

Quicktime Pro can select a clip and export as sound; mp3, wav, aiff...

4. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

I've tried this about a hundred times with no success. I extract the audio from the movie clip I want to use as a ringtone, and exporting as AIFF and WAV produces blank audio files (the duration is the same as the video clip). Exporting as MP3 produces a 1 second long blank audio file.

I'm getting a little frustrated, is there anything else I can try?

5. Acronym macrumors 68000

hey when trying to get this song that i soon realized wasnt going to be released till 2009 and only in the uk i pursued downloading the video for it off youtube.

provided by this neat application here http://youtubedownload.altervista.org/

when scanning through the different codecs the videos can be converted too i saw an MP3 option i am now listening to the song i had wanted in the first place without the need for the video picture.

my video was 4:46 roughly not sure how long it would take for a whole movie but thought i might post about it anyways being as it might work for what you need.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If nothing else works, it may be an issue with CSS... you can also do this with MacTheRipper (and possibly with Handbrake also) -- you use its "demuxing" option to split out the audio, and then I think you also have to convert the audio into an AAC file or other common format, possibly, before putting it in GB.