Can you make different categories for contacts on iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by McNasty, Jun 15, 2008.

1. McNasty macrumors member

This might be a stupid question but is it possible to have different categories for iPhone contacts? I ask because I'll be getting the new iPhone 3G when it comes out (and as soon as it can be used on T-Mobile). I have a separate palm pilot right now with over 400 work contacts. I want to be able to search my contacts on my iphone without going through all of my work contacts. Is it possible to make different categories and search through each one independently?

Any news on being able to unlock 3G iPhones?

2. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

Sure can, I've got 3 different groups in mine, set the different groups in Address Book and then check them to sync in iTunes. You have the different groups and then you can view them all if you wanted.

3. McNasty thread starter macrumors member

Thats great to hear. How many categories can you have? I have 11 different categories on my palm pilot. Will I be able to make a category for each of them? Thanks again!

4. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

I'm pretty sure as long as you have space you can have an almost infinite number of groups.

5. stagi macrumors 65816

stagi

I don't think there is a limit, I have about 10 groups and everything works perfect.

6. swizard101 macrumors newbie

Group and Category are not the same thing in Outlook

A group and a category are not the same thing in outlook. I've seen other FAQ threads with the issue Group, which apparently the iPhone can import, but that is not the same as using an outlook category to separate contacts. Separation into groups is not quite the same as "sorting" by category. If you need separation, likely you need to form groups in Outlook, and put all of one category into one group. Categories assist in sorting all contacts in one list, and do not do the same thing as groups

7. stefano65 macrumors newbie

I use an app call Grouper
    ( itune store one)
    and works great integrates with your existing address book
    and I personally have 5 groups in it and there is room for more

8. app4me macrumors newbie

I have been looking everywhere and downloaded several apps wasting money. You are right this grouper app you mentioned is only 99 cents and has the one thing I need to CREATE groups. It has been so frustrating trying to create groups in Outlook because they did not sync at least from a PC to a iTunes to iPhone. I understand it does sync groups if done on a Mac though.

9. Mbeissel macrumors newbie

How display Outlook Contact Categories on iPhone4

Hi - I'm trying to find a way for my Outlook contact categories to show on iPhone4 contacts - I don't want to create "Groups". Is there a 3rd party app that does this? "Grouper" doesn't seem to help me?

10. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

As you probably already know, iPhone does not recognize Outlook "categories" as groups. It does, however recognize folders. If you right click on your "contacts" folder in Outlook and make a new folder, iPhone will see that as a group, and you can select that group in iTunes to sync.

11. professore macrumors newbie

Outlook categories on iPhone - Yes! - solution for $5 and 5 minutes

I have been wrestling with the question of how to get Outlook categories to sync with the iPhone for some time now. My solution is not 100% seamless, nor perfectly elegant, and it requires the purchase of a $5 app (which is a very nice app in any case). But... it works and it's easy.

The basic idea is that you obtain a program that will allow you to create groups based on a boolean criterion, then you use a short macro I wrote for Outlook to sync a contact's category name with a field that does sync to the iPhone.

I have put together a page that has the exact directions and the Outlook macro code here.

http://eric-eisenstein.com/iphone.htm

Enjoy.

12. GadgetGeek407 macrumors 6502a

Here is to bringing to life a dead thread!

I have always used Palm, Windows, and now Android. All these OS's allow you to have your contacts into different groups/categories. i.e. business, friends, school, or whatever else you want to name them. This allows you to send a text to an entire group at once or easily locate a person in a certain group. This also completely syncs back and forth with my gmail contacts.

As you may have heard the iPhone is more than likely coming to Sprint. I love Apple as I own most of their products, I hate att and verizon. lol That being said I am surprised that Apple brought all kinds of features since 2007 to the iPhone but this simple feature where you add a contact and for that contact pick a group tp put it into is NOT available, how can this be? i cant imagine its THAT difficult if every other OS does it?

13. biker74 macrumors member

biker74

I think (and dont quote me on this) but it may be coming in iOS5

14. johny.Bgood macrumors newbie

Outlook sync or 3rd party app

Hi,

I am totally agree with you. This is clearly a missing feature. So you have two solutions. First one is to use outlook sync. This is describe in many posts on internet. This is quite complex. Second solution is to use 3rd party apps. They are quite cheap. Some of them are even free. Personnaly I am using a free one, it is called Easy Group

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/easy-group/id461469079?l=fr&ls=1&mt=8

It does what I want : create and populate groups of contacts. You can also send group text and group emails.
    I do not know if it is the best app, but job is done.

I expect this missing feature will come ine IO5, but it does not look to be on roadmap.

John John