Can you make iPhoto re-scan for faces?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iamjoygray, Jul 14, 2009.

1. iamjoygray macrumors newbie

Hi,

The Mac store transferred my photos from a PC onto my new iMac. Therefore, I missed the initial opportunity to set a scan for faces. I have started to enter them manually. Is there a way to ask iPhoto to re-scan for faces?

Many thanks.
    Joy

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Yes, using the control click. (Select all of your pictures first...)

3. JediMeister macrumors 68040

I think one way of forcing a re-scan is to crack open the iPhoto Library package (just this once) and pulling the face_blog.db and face.db files out to the Desktop. This of course is to be performed while you are NOT running iPhoto. This undoes the Faces designations you manually inputted however but it will re-scan the entire library for unique faces.

4. iamjoygray thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, guys. I have selected all of my photos and told the programme to identify missing faces.... I can see it running (has a turning cycle icon at faces) - has done for several hours. I have 12,000 photos.... Should this, in theory, categorise my photos against the current faces that I have identified (fingers crossed)? Or will it just make suggestions against each current face?

If this isn't successful, I will attempt to locate the files suggested below and delete them.

Many thanks.

5. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

My understanding is that it will move the photos into the faces that you have already identified and ask for confirmation.

6. iamjoygray thread starter macrumors newbie

7. microwebmark macrumors newbie

Where do you "tell the program to rescan the faces"

I have went through every menu after item when I select all my pictures and I don't see anywhere where it will rescan the faces.. I do not see where the database is located. I go to the directory in finder and search for the db file and it finds nothing. This is my first mac and I thought "IT JUST WORKS" and I don't see many real solutions in Mac forums.. Just a lot of people who have the same problem.. I just upgraded to snow leopard and bought Iwork 09 and spent 160 bucks..it's not working.. from what I understand the new windows photo program does the same thing..Help me be a MAC FAN

8. moteltan macrumors newbie

This is indeed the only way to for a manual face scan. Quit iPhoto. In Finder, navigate to Pictures and then Control-Click (or Rt-Click) on the item "iPhoto Library". Choose "Show Package Contents". Then do the below. You'll loose all the faces you've added manually, but there will be a full scan run. Make sure you've checked for software updates first to make sure you have the latest & greatest. And don't be so dramatic.

9. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

No, if you look just a few posts above yours there is another method listed that doesn't require any of this.

Select all photos, right- or control-click on them, and select "Scan for Missing Faces". Works perfectly in every case I've seen.

10. ToddJ macrumors 6502

is there a way to rescan iPhoto for keywords? i have a referenced library and like to add the keywords via Picasa, but would like to be able to rescan the library (like you can for Geotags) so iPhoto will find them

11. Spikeywan macrumors 6502

It took me a while, but I worked it out. You have to select all the photos that you want to rescan, then from the menu select 'Photos | Detect Missing Faces'.

Control or right-clicking didn't work on my rMBP.