Can you make phone calls with iphone with just wifi?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pauly1, Feb 21, 2014.

1. pauly1 macrumors regular

I make phone calls with gmail when on computer. Its google voice but i make call when i log on gmail. I know an ipod touch you cannot with gmail.

Can you do this with an iphone? I assume not because if ipod touch can't, iphone cannot either just with a wifi connection?

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

3. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

If you have a Google Voice account then you can make calls over Wifi using the Talkatone app or the Google Hangouts app. (I do this with my ipad on wifi all the time).

4. pauly1 thread starter macrumors regular

okay so with facetime, the other user has to be an iphone or ipad or ipod touch user? Thus it wont work with a regular number such as landline?

I have google voice account yes. So you could call landlines and cell phones with it right? Another thing... do you know if you could make calls from canada or say mexico to the usa with it?

I found out with gmail... i could call anywhere in usa and canada. But in canada... i cant receive phone calls.

5. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Yes, FaceTime is only between two people who have FaceTime on their Mac or iDevice.

Yes, with Google Voice you can call land lines and cell phones with it. I'm in the US and I can call anywhere in the US and Canada for free and other countries for a reasonable rate (e.g. I can call the UK for 2 cents a minute). I don't know about receiving calls in Canada since I'm in the US.

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

Strange that you can't receive since it's just a data connection basically. Unless some sort of IP based location handling is happening for some reason.

7. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Yes, you can use the WiFi connection to make a voice call. Viber, an app is an example of how it lets you. Also, there is a Vonage app that does this. I'm not sure, but if there is a Google Voice app then I'm sure it can do what you want it to.

FaceTime also has a "voice" only feature which you can use for iPhone to iPhone WiFi conversation.

8. 617aircav Suspended

You can make phone calls with VoIP apps like magic jack.