Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
I bought an Apple Pencil and I was so disappointed it didn't work on the iPhone, I didn't even expect this wouldn't be possible 🥴 It seems so ridiculous. 🙄

I'm not sure about the exact reason (it's claimed to be a technical thing) but it sounds to me like an excuse just in order to, one day, when the market will be ready, release a pencil compatible with the iPhone too.

There's some risky solutions like putting the pencil in water or absurd ideas like these that I won't follow.

But since the pencil tips can be changed (another refined strategy to take your money out of your pocket), I was wondering if there might be tips that make it compatible with the iPhone?

Or if there even is pencils compatible with both iPad and iPhone? In that case I would return this g**bage of a Pencil Apple sold me. 👀

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
Of course it's my mistake. I still blame them, though. For the simple reason that they probably made an effort on purpose just to make it not compatible with iPhones.

But now I'm wondering if there's alternative tips that will make it work with them, or if there might even be other pens that work with both.

Let's say if my finger can work with both the iPhone and iPad touchscreen, there can be any other thing too that will work with both.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Of course it's my mistake. I still blame them, though. For the simple reason that they probably made an effort on purpose just to make it not compatible with iPhones.

But now I'm wondering if there's alternative tips that will make it work with them, or if there might even be other pens that work with both.

Let's say if my finger can work with both the iPhone and iPad touchscreen, there can be any other thing too that will work with both.

Capacitive touch stylus works.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
can this be "done on" sketches?
I can use my :apple: pencil on the Mac mini why cis more than I hoped for!

and
I would offer the OP some of my extra :apple: stocks for free,
but I have a feeling they would get scorched in a fire or paper shredded today.

Last edited:

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA

erikkfi

macrumors 68000
May 19, 2017
Don't blame Apple because you bought a product without doing your homework and just assumed it would work. You are to blame.
It's really disappointing that the people on this site with "Contributor" as their role are some of the most unkind people on the forums, getting in fights and making these kinds of very online blanket judgments about others.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
Capacitive devices work exactly like your finger - it's just conducting the electrical charge from your finger. There are gloves that can do this. It's not at all like the pencil's interaction.

https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/574950/how-exactly-does-the-apple-pencil-work

Thanks!

I'm going to return it and get something superior.

can this be doin min sketches?
I can use my :apple: pencil on the Mac mini why cis more than I hoped for!

and
I would offer the OP some of my extra :apple: stocks for free,
but I have a feeling they would get scorched in a fire or paper shredded today.

This may make you laugh, but today I was wondering what's worth more:

A) the Apple Pencil
B) destroying the Apple Pencil on Youtube and making money with the views it gets

I would say destroying the Apple Pencil is worth more than the Apple Pencil itself. The only reason I decided not to do it is because climate change is a real issue in my eyes and resource waste would be irresponsible from my side. So I'm going to return it, but I would have loved to break it in two or something like that!

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
I bought an Apple Pencil and I was so disappointed it didn't work on the iPhone, I didn't even expect this wouldn't be possible 🥴 It seems so ridiculous. 🙄

I'm not sure about the exact reason (it's claimed to be a technical thing) but it sounds to me like an excuse just in order to, one day, when the market will be ready, release a pencil compatible with the iPhone too.

There's some risky solutions like putting the pencil in water or absurd ideas like these that I won't follow.

But since the pencil tips can be changed (another refined strategy to take your money out of your pocket), I was wondering if there might be tips that make it compatible with the iPhone?

Or if there even is pencils compatible with both iPad and iPhone? In that case I would return this g**bage of a Pencil Apple sold me. 👀
Silly John, you need to do a tiny bit of homework before you buy things. Duh.

seggy

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2016
Suspended, XD

I have to wonder if he was trolling or was actually as 'me gud tech, me best tech' as he seemed to be in all his threads

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
It's really disappointing that the people on this site with "Contributor" as their role are some of the most unkind people on the forums, getting in fights and making these kinds of very online blanket judgments about others.
I was not unkind and I don’t get into fights on a forum. If you have a problem with my post, report it to the mods.

aParkerMusic

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2021
The OP has posted two consecutive forum threads. This one is about being surprised that Apple Pencil doesn’t work with iPhone (this has been the case since the introduction of the Apple Pencil…and in the other thread they say they’ve been using Apple products for 25 years, so they seem seasoned, hmm). The other one is a rant about how iCloud is unreliable and they lost work, and Apple is low quality trash, etc etc.

I mean, these two threads could be legit. But, and I think this is the more likely case, these two threads could be exactly what we think they are. Just bait. Come on, ya’ll.

Pierre535

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2017
“He-He, “Of course it's my mistake. I still blame them, though”. Yea, ran into same situation. Bought a Honda CRV engine to put into my Honda Pilot. Didn’t do enough research but i still blame Honda!! Increasingly unpleasant company personality, I‘ll just go elsewhere. Note to self: good advice.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
Suspended, XD

I have to wonder if he was trolling or was actually as 'me gud tech, me best tech' as he seemed to be in all his threads
seems to me he was just having some fun, and upset at :apple: lately.
hopefully the ban is the usual 2 days.

Reactions: klasma

seggy

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2016
You know the answer.
You know, it's really hard to tell here sometimes.

e.g. a moderator emeritus rolls out a "I bought a $6000 laptop and it wasnt worth it" line without a hint of trollage to counter my argument about current prices... that laptop having been released in the early 90's 🤣, let alone comments from regular members

Last edited:

fenderbass146

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Northwest Indiana
Thanks!

I'm going to return it and get something superior.

This may make you laugh, but today I was wondering what's worth more:

A) the Apple Pencil
B) destroying the Apple Pencil on Youtube and making money with the views it gets

I would say destroying the Apple Pencil is worth more than the Apple Pencil itself. The only reason I decided not to do it is because climate change is a real issue in my eyes and resource waste would be irresponsible from my side. So I'm going to return it, but I would have loved to break it in two or something like that!
gosh you are petty. I think you need some time outside.

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2011
I made a similar mistake recently, purchasing the Apple Magic Mouse and thinking it would work with the iPhone. It’s really odd the mouse isn’t compatible, even using assistive touch.

Caveat emptor!

Reactions: Silly John Fatty

seggy

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2016
Since I have iPads, Surfaces, Wacoms and Thinkpad Yogas, I now have over a dozen pens that I can readily pick up which don't write on actual paper. Like, not at all. What is up with that, is it too much to ask? Should I return these pens?

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I made a similar mistake recently, purchasing the Apple Magic Mouse and thinking it would work with the iPhone. It’s really odd the mouse isn’t compatible, even using assistive touch.

Caveat emptor!
I think -do your research first- most generic Bluetooth mice work with the iPhone, unlike Apple’s ones. I’m not sure if this is still true on iOS 16/17 tho.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.