Can you move DIY Fusion drives from one Mac mini to another and expect it to work?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by NazgulRR, Jul 27, 2017.

1. NazgulRR macrumors 6502

Out of curiosity, if I were to upgrade my 2009 Mac mini to a newer one (2011, 2012), could I just simply lift the SSD+HDD set up as a DIY Fusion from the old one into the new one and boot up? Would it work? Anyone tried this?

2. kohlson macrumors 6502a

3. Adz76 macrumors member

To be honest I don't use fusion so I can't give a 100% answer but if it were me and the new setup had both an SSD and a HDD in it I would ensure I had both a Time Machine backup AND a clone done by either CCC or Super Duper.

4. NazgulRR thread starter macrumors 6502

Got both TC and CC clone. Was wondering whether this would save time.

If no one has ever tried this, I'll try it later this year myself and report back.

5. Ubele macrumors 6502a

My guess is "no." I once moved a HDD from a MacBook Pro to a MacBook. When I tried to boot, I got an error saying something about the system drive not matching the computer model. I assumed that, when you install OS X, it stores information about the particular computer. I had to do a clean installation of OS X and restore from my TMB. That was several versions of OS X ago, though,so you might give it a try if you're curious.

6. mbosse macrumors regular

No, you usually can happily switch the drives between mac models, they just work. There must be something special with your installation that prevented switching. What you observed is highly unusual.