Can you move system drive to new mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by vrsnake, Mar 18, 2010.

1. vrsnake macrumors newbie

vrsnake

I currently have a 2007 Mac Pro (intel). I hope soon to buy one of the latest 2009 Mac Pros. My question is: Can I move my existing system drive (10.6.2) to my new mac? Will the 2009 Mac Pro boot from it?

I know this would not work on a windows machine as chip specific drivers get added at install time, but I was hoping I could get away with it with a Mac.

Thanks.

2. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

3. nigameash macrumors 6502

Hmm it depends, I doubt anyone out here could give you a proper and correct answer unless the person has tried something similar. EG: the drivers used by a imac and macbook pro are quite different due to the hardware setup. So if u cloned an imac disk and tried to use it on the macbook pro, u'd get horrendous results :p so it kinda depends on the changes made between the two systems and if there are any significant hardware changes

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

No you wouldn't. The only problem you'd have would be in cloning a PowerPC Mac to Intel or vice versa. In fact, I have cloned a MacBook Pro hard drive and used the image on an iMac for over a year with no problems.

5. Ca$hflow macrumors 6502

Ca$hflow

I will answer this come this weekend. I'm moving a drive from a MacBook Pro 2.16 core Duo over to a MackBook pro 2.5 Core 2 Duo.