Can you move widgets to your desktop?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by snook911, Apr 11, 2012.

1. snook911, Apr 11, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2012

snook911 macrumors 6502a

Ok, just bought my first mac and love the dashboard widgets but is there any way to move the widgets to your desktop. They seem to be wasted in dashboard as I rarely go there. The whole idea of a widget is to have information at your fingertips so having to go to a page where all your widgets live seems like kind of a waste no? :confused: Thanks.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can set up a hot corner so just a move of the mouse or a swipe on the trackpad will bring up the dashboard or hide it. The idea is to have those widgets quickly available when you need them, but not have them clutter up your desktop or workspace until you're ready for them.

Also, you may have better success in attracting responses to your thread, and you'll make your thread easier to find for those browsing the forum for the same answers, if you change your thread title to something more descriptive. To do so, click the "Edit" button on your original post, then click "Go Advanced" and you will see where to edit the thread title.

3. snook911 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the reply. Took your advice and changed the title. I guess for me since I really don't keep that much on my desktop I look being able to see things like baseball scores and the weather without having to switch to another page. Its not something I really think of doing but if the information is right there then you are always seeing it. Not sure if any of this makes sense or not. Guess I'll live with it. Love the Mac though.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you really want to get things like that on your desktop, check out this thread: Your Geektool scripts

5. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

Great post. I was thinking the same thing. Since I only use one widget it would be nice to have it in a corner somewhere on the main desktop.

To add to this, can the widgets desktop be removed. It would be great to be able to move the one widget to my main desktop and then remove the widget desktop.

Also, I know this is off topic, but has to do with desktops, but is there a way to maximize a window and have it stay on the main desktop instead of going over to a new one?

6. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

i forget where this settting is but you can turn off dashboard as its own desktop so when you toggle to show dashboard either with the hot corner or the keyboard it just shows them on your active desktop instead of changing to a new one

----------

can you explain what your asking?

you windows should not go to a new desktop when you maximize them

7. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

Thanks for the reply iisforiphone. I probably should have said an application window. Ex. If I open a iPhoto, Browser, iTunes, etc and maximize the window it will maximize to a new desktop. I tested this at Best Buy and Apple store and it does the same there.

8. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

ahh yes full screen mode does make it a new desktop sorta speak thats so you can swipe between them

look at the app Right Zoom this will make the app full screen when you click the green button rather than you having to stretch it to full screen every time and thsi will keep the window on the current desktop