Carrier Can you not buy a iPhone on ATT by paying fully?

Avenger

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2007
I looked at the ATT site and when I went to upgrade a line, it only showed ATT Next Plans for the iPhone 8. If I want to buy the phone outright, is my only choice To buy directly from Apple?

playaproved

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2005
I looked at the ATT site and when I went to upgrade a line, it only showed ATT Next Plans for the iPhone 8. If I want to buy the phone outright, is my only choice To buy directly from Apple?
Any reason you didn't want to just put it on a Next plan then pay it off when the bill comes? That's typically what I do, put it on the next plan and then pay it off 1-2 months later.

Avenger

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2007
You can, but it is not an upgrade.
All I see advertised on the page are the phones with the Next prices. If I want to use a current line but buy the phone, how do you go by doing it?
[doublepost=1508897734][/doublepost]
Any reason you didn't want to just put it on a Next plan then pay it off when the bill comes? That's typically what I do, put it on the next plan and then pay it off 1-2 months later.
Do you pay exactly the full price of the phone if you do that?

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Dumb question: Is your current phone on Next and still owe payments on it?

I just went onto ATT to step through an upgrade on my current line of service. There was in little print a "show other pricing options" link under the big Next price graphic. One of the options was for pay full price.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
It is an upgrade and as stated above it's in the fine print under the NEXT graphic.
Of course if you buy from AT&T it will be locked to AT&T. You could of course request an unlock at a later time.

Lobwedgephil

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2012
I just tried on at&t website and I could pay via Next or Full Price, gives me both options.

Avenger

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2007
It is an upgrade and as stated above it's in the fine print under the NEXT graphic.
Of course if you buy from AT&T it will be locked to AT&T. You could of course request an unlock at a later time.
I just tried on at&t website and I could pay via Next or Full Price, gives me both options.
Thank you all. I found the extra option after I chose a line to upgrade.