I just spoke with the agent from Customer Relations. I initially had an upgraded order on September but couldn't wait for long wait that I purchased the full retail price from Apple. As I was enjoying using it for more than a month, just by today, the phone that I have ordered through AT&T came to my house. So I told the agent that since I was using the device that I got from Apple store for more than a month, there is no reason for me to use the phone that I have received from AT&T. I asked him to move the contract that is under the imei number on AT&T order to the one that I purchased with the full retail price's imei. However, the agent said that you cannot do it, he told me about this story that I could not even understand. He said that by upgrading, you have extended 24 months contract. And that contract is under the IMEI number on the device that I ordered through AT&T (LOCKED). If you sell the phone, the phone still carries your contract that if they decide to cancel the service and go to different carrier, you are responsible to pay for early termination fee. And I told him, it is not like even if I sell the phone, I want to cancel the contract, I want to keep the contract to fulfill the commitment to contract for 24 months. But he kept saying that you have two options that either you pay for early termination fee or sell the one you have been using for a month. Is this right? Can anyone suggest better solution for this?