Can you notice a difference?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by scho52386, Jul 4, 2007.

1. scho52386 macrumors regular

scho52386

Can you really notice a difference between speeds in a 2.0 and a 2.16 processor on the macbook pros? I was thinking about buying a new macbook pro, but if the speed difference is minimal, i was thinking about just buyin a new harddrive.

2. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Not at the moment, well mostly. I guess it really depends on what you're going to be running on it. I think that in a few years, you might notice a slight difference, but by then, your notebook will be advanced in age, so you'll have to get a new one anyways. I say just go for the HD upgrade.

3. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

The difference between 2.0 and 2.16 is roughly 166Mhz. Trust me when I tell you that you won't really notice any difference.

Buy more RAM, get a faster HDD or just save your money. You won't notice the difference in processor speeds.

4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

You won't notice the difference, go with a bigger hard drive instead.

The new MacBook Pros are 2.2GHz and 2.4GHz, are you talking about an older model instead of the new one?

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Maybe he was thinking of the MacBook? Difference is minimal. If its the MacBook, the 2.16 one comes with a Superdrive which is great for burning DVDs and such.

6. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

If they were talking about the MacBook, then they should definitely get the one with the Superdrive, it is worth it to get the middle one over the low end one for that alone.

7. scho52386 thread starter macrumors regular

scho52386

well I decided to keep my mbp, but where and what kind of hard drive should I get?

8. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

the difference in the two speeds is only noticeable when you're doing long calculation things like conversions...not even multi-tasking will show the difference

ffor the cost, it's the last thing you upgrade...first is RAM, then VRAM, then HDD speed and then processor

p.s. i have both the processors you're talking about