Can you order an iphone 4 from apple.com sans-contract?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bob vansteel, Jul 10, 2010.

1. bob vansteel macrumors regular

So Im not available for the early upgrade price until the end of this year and simple want to buy an iphone 4 with no contract ($599). If I buy as an existing customer from apple.com for $599, will they renew my contract anyways/no matter what? Or do I need to purchase from an AT&T store to get one with no commitment?

p.s. - In case you didnt notice, I'm doing this so my contract remains on track to expire next year and I will be able to upgrade for the subsidized price.

2. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Why not do the obvious? Give Apple a ring and ask...

3. emkwan macrumors regular

emkwan

LOL so true. ;)

4. sleyeu macrumors 6502

Buy a sim free iphone 4, that is contract and pay as you go free. Just the iphone.

If you want to be a conspirasist like me, create a new apple id just to buy this iphone if you want...

But it shouldnt renew if you buy sim free, i got sim free and it didnt even prompt me about contracts.

Also, one thing to note, to activate the phone, you need a microsim.
    I already had a cut down sim to use (good old DIY with a file and a cardboard cutter xD)

You can easily ask for a paygo sim from a local carrier just to activate the phone but i'm not sure if u need to activate the sim first which normally needs a minimum top up. Haven't tried using an inactive sim...

5. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

You want to buy an iPhone4 at full price this year, on a different contract or a paygo, so you can upgrade at a subsidized price next year on your current contract? Upgrade to what next year?

6. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

That's easy. The iPhone4GXxWOWxX

7. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

Ah, yes, the 'yet to be announced', 'sure to be a winner', '100% faster than an iPhone4', 'thinner yet a bigger screen', etc., iPhone5.

For some people, $ > Brains.

8. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

Yes you can do that. Because i did the same thing i didn't have an upgrade available either. What you may need to do though is call Business care or Customer service when you get the iPhone and have them do activate it over phone. Because if you activate it thru itunes it will renew your contract for 2 years.

AT&T Fixed it and pushed my upgrade date up to Jan 2011 From November.

9. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

Well that's helpful but don't worry i helped the OP because this thread is full of filler and smug remarks.

10. John T macrumors 68020

John T

It wasn't when I replied! :D

11. Nahmeanz macrumors regular

I think at this point, because there is not inventory at Apple stores, you can only order a contract-free phone from AT&T. I just did for my brother. You will need an AT&T account even if you want to buy one without a contract.