Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bob vansteel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
So Im not available for the early upgrade price until the end of this year and simple want to buy an iphone 4 with no contract ($599). If I buy as an existing customer from apple.com for $599, will they renew my contract anyways/no matter what? Or do I need to purchase from an AT&T store to get one with no commitment?

p.s. - In case you didnt notice, I'm doing this so my contract remains on track to expire next year and I will be able to upgrade for the subsidized price.

sleyeu

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2009
Buy a sim free iphone 4, that is contract and pay as you go free. Just the iphone.

If you want to be a conspirasist like me, create a new apple id just to buy this iphone if you want...

But it shouldnt renew if you buy sim free, i got sim free and it didnt even prompt me about contracts.

Also, one thing to note, to activate the phone, you need a microsim.
I already had a cut down sim to use (good old DIY with a file and a cardboard cutter xD)

You can easily ask for a paygo sim from a local carrier just to activate the phone but i'm not sure if u need to activate the sim first which normally needs a minimum top up. Haven't tried using an inactive sim...

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
p.s. - In case you didnt notice, I'm doing this so my contract remains on track to expire next year and I will be able to upgrade for the subsidized price.

You want to buy an iPhone4 at full price this year, on a different contract or a paygo, so you can upgrade at a subsidized price next year on your current contract? Upgrade to what next year?

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
You want to buy an iPhone4 at full price this year, on a different contract or a paygo, so you can upgrade at a subsidized price next year on your current contract? Upgrade to what next year?

That's easy. The iPhone4GXxWOWxX

JediZenMaster

Suspended
Mar 28, 2010
Seattle
So Im not available for the early upgrade price until the end of this year and simple want to buy an iphone 4 with no contract ($599). If I buy as an existing customer from apple.com for $599, will they renew my contract anyways/no matter what? Or do I need to purchase from an AT&T store to get one with no commitment?

Yes you can do that. Because i did the same thing i didn't have an upgrade available either. What you may need to do though is call Business care or Customer service when you get the iPhone and have them do activate it over phone. Because if you activate it thru itunes it will renew your contract for 2 years.

AT&T Fixed it and pushed my upgrade date up to Jan 2011 From November.

Nahmeanz

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2007
I think at this point, because there is not inventory at Apple stores, you can only order a contract-free phone from AT&T. I just did for my brother. You will need an AT&T account even if you want to buy one without a contract.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.