Can you partition a Time Capsule? Yes or no?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by macnvrbck, Dec 11, 2008.

1. macnvrbck macrumors regular

I've read through every post about partitioning Time Capsule with much misinformation and no real answers.

Is this possible or not? If so, can you let me in on the secret. (If it's not, I'm not very happy with 1 TB of space and NO other way of utilizing it except time machine backups.)USLESS! :mad::mad::mad:

2. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

From a search on the net it seems you have at least 4 way of solving your problem, although each one has a downside:

1) Open the time capsule and connect the drive directly to a mac. You can then partition it as usual with disk utility and then put it back in the TC. You will see the partitioned drives. Some answers and a link on opening the TC;
    http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/03/06/answers_to_time_capsule_reader_questions.html

2) Add a partition inside the TimaMachine sparsebundle image:
    http://flickr.com/groups/mac_addicts/discuss/72157610738811459/

3) Create another image on the TC share with Disk Utility as big as the space you don't want Time Machine to use.

4) Attach a USB harddrive to the TC and use that one as a Time Machine backup. Use the internal drive for what you want (or viceversa).

3. macnvrbck thread starter macrumors regular

WHAT A WASTE! I should have just bought a Airport Extreme!!! Anyone want to buy a Time Capsule?

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Tell me how much, and then move this thought to the Marketplace.

Why not just return it?

5. macnvrbck thread starter macrumors regular

It's a 1TB. I got it off someone on eBay, new (open box). Got a GREAT deal.