Can you password protect an iWeb page or a Mobile Me Gallery?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Spanky Deluxe, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I don't want just anyone to have immediate access to my gallery via my iWeb site. Ideally I'd like my entire Mobile Me gallery to be password protected. I had a look at password protecting individual albums but that's just a horrible implementation, each album just comes up as a grey thumbnail in the albums view even if you enter login details. I thought an alternative (although far less secure) would be to have the link to the mobile me gallery on a password protected iWeb page as part of my iWeb site but I can't find any options to let me password protect just one page.

Am I right in assuming that Web Gallery only supports password protecting of individual items whereas Apple have gone the opposite route with iWeb where you can only password protect your entire site? If that's the case then it seems like they're really trying to make things hard for us!

2. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

That's my understanding. You can only protect the site in iWeb and individual Gallery in MobileMe. However, in the latter you can actually ensure that individual galleries do not show up in the main gallery page so that only the recipients of your link have access to it...

3. Spanky Deluxe thread starter macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Yeah but that ruins the gallery's look imo. Ideally they should add a log in page at the front of your gallery site if you so desire. Anway, I found a kind of workaround in the end. In iWeb, I created a new site and made a linking page to my gallery in there. I password protected this second site (which automatically also gets hosted on my mobile me webspace as well) and link to it from my main site which isn't password protected. Its had the desired effect. Sure people will be able to get to my gallery without knowing the password if they put a little bit of effort in but that doesn't bother me too much yet.