Can you pay for magazines from zinio using iTunes credit?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by johnathan92, Aug 29, 2010.

1. johnathan92 macrumors newbie

Hi guys.

I have just downloaded the zinio app for the ipad and have tried to purchase a magazine subscription. It then led me to a page to put in my credit card details? Is there a way to pay for the magazine subscription using my iTunes balance? If so how?

Many thanks!!

2. jamied95 macrumors 6502

Not that I can work out... you just have to give your details to Zinio.

3. jeannieymullen macrumors newbie

Zinio magazines on the ipad and iphone

hi. Im Jeanniey Mullen- the CMO of Zinio. No :-( you cant use an iTunes credit at this time, but we are working on it. In the mean time, if you send me an email I will send you a $5 gift card, or, go to the link below and choose 1 free magazine with our compliments.

VIPlink: http://www.formstack.com/forms/?967522-2qT7I159GZ
    Secret code: 13623

Have a great weekend and thanks for trying Zinio!

4. MikeTheRocker96 macrumors member

MikeTheRocker96

I was wondering this too. Thanks Jeanniey for the code, I downloaded a couple free magazines!

5. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

Thanks for the code, Jeanniey!

I love Zinio and have about 4-5 subscriptions already. Between iBooks and Zinio, my reading has increased 100 fold over what it was prior to the iPad.

6. testcard macrumors 68020

testcard

Thanks for the code - that's my Sunday reading sorted :)

7. KevinM2 macrumors 6502

I have over $100 in iTunes credit right now.

I have 4 Zinio subs at the moment, but I am now going to wait until I can use my iTunes credit to pay for any more subs with Zinio.

I do like Zinio though, and I think this is the way forward for reading magazines and newspapers (I also have a Press Reader sub - Go Trees...Thrive :D ).

The sooner Zinio can accept iTunes payments the better.

Kevin.

8. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Agreed. "Pressreader" (a sort-of zinio for newspapers) does this and that's what got me using it (it's pretty cool on the iPad, btw). I don't like giving out my credit card for subscriptions - just in case they auto-renew without me realizing. Routing payment through iTunes feels safer.

9. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

I can't speak for Zinio, but i also work for a media company that does magazines and the problem with doing in-app purchases is that Apple takes their 30%. To me, it's the cost of doing biz on the Apple Store, but I understand why the higher ups don't want to lose that margin.

It's the same reason Amazon sends you out of the Kindle app to their website to purchase books - if they did it inside the Kindle app, they'd have to share 30% with Apple.

I'm excited that Mental Floss is available on Zinio for iPad!

10. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Jeannie,

Thanks for the code. Zinio rocks. Use it for all of my personal magazine subscriptions.

Question. If we would like to see a magazine title added to your catalog, what is the best way to go about letting someone know our desires?

Thanks!

11. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

Awesome. Thanks for the code :) Please try and convince Top Gear magazine to join you as I'd love to be able to add it to my subscriptions on my iPad.

12. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Thanks, I have several Zinio subs. It works great. I had no idea how well until I bought the iPad. The experience is spectacular compared to using my iPhone.

Cheers,

13. spammerhamster macrumors 6502

Thanks for the code. Too bad I already have subscribed to all the mags I like.

Well, guess I'm going to take a look at Yoga then ;)

14. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

I have NatGeo, but would love to see Scientific American on Zinio. Right now the only way to get it is as straight PDFs.

15. jeannieymullen macrumors newbie

Magazines on Zinio

If you have a magazine or catalog that wants to be on Zinio -email them and cc me jmullen@zinio.com. We will follow up and let them know their readers are interested. In same cases we might be able to let you know if they are already on their way to being availible on zinio.

Once they are up, the title will automatically be available on our desktop reader (Adobe AIR powered), iphone, ipad, itouch (with the zinio app, or any of our branded magazine apps like sportingnewstoday, national geographic magazine and national geographic traveler) and the Samsung galaxy tab - in addition to other new color devices down the road. That's our UNITY platform. Buy it once and read it anywhere. It's nice to buy a new ipad and see if filled with prior zinio purchases.

16. jeannieymullen macrumors newbie

Scientific American

Yes- we know! We agree. We have been speaking to them for a long time.
    Send them an email and I will follow up on monday.

Hmmm... I am thinking maybe I should make a zinio wishlist page somewhere where people could post titles they want to see on Zinio and magazine, book and catalog publishers can see the demand. What do you think?

17. testcard macrumors 68020

testcard

18. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Jeannie, thank you for the information and procedure. :)

19. KevinM2 macrumors 6502

A quick question (especially if Jeanniey is reading).

I bought a magazine subscription, but it didn't appear on my iPad even though I got an e-mail saying:

Hi Kevin,
    If you already have Zinio's iPad app and you're on your iPad right now, you can go straight to the app and your new issue will be there.

Otherwise, if you're on your Mac or PC, click below!"

However, it never did appear, even though it was in my library on my PC.

Digging deeper, it looks like it is not iPad compatible (there's no icon next to the magazine on your site), even though I got the e-mail saying I could go to my ipad and start reading it right now.

Is there any way to read this on my iPad? Is there any chance you will make it iPad compatible? The magazine was Eagles Insider.

I really don't like reading on my PC, as I like to be able to wander about whilst I am reading. That's the beauty of the iPad and Zinio.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.